game speed vs track speed

I am sorry but explains plenty. Speed kills. When your not a threat deep than as a DC I can really adjust my coverage and go balls to the walls after your QB. No one takes our run game serious because MM goes away from it or Rodgers checks out... well hells bells If I know I have the speed to neutralize your WR. I am blitzing your butt early and often.
They weren't a deep threat because Hundley couldn't come close on deep balls. They ran so few deep routes late in the season which drives that average down. I'm not saying they have a great WR corp but that isn't the stat that will tell you how fast they are.

They weren't a deep threat because Hundley couldn't come close on deep balls. They ran so few deep routes late in the season which drives that average down. I'm not saying they have a great WR corp but that isn't the stat that will tell you how fast they are.
I will concede without doubt that Hundley couldn't throw a decent deep ball to save his life. ( Another issue that should have been known before camp broke) I do think the stat may even be a tad off the mark but Eye it explains a lot from my perspective in terms of why teams played us defensively like they did... my only real point.

I will concede without doubt that Hundley couldn't throw a decent deep ball to save his life. ( Another issue that should have been known before camp broke) I do think the stat may even be a tad off the mark but Eye it explains a lot from my perspective in terms of why teams played us defensively like they did... my only real point.
I can agree with that. My only point was that number would have been a whole lot different with AR slinging it deep. We are on the same page though. Hundley sucked. MM should have known that.

When I read the list of average speeds in the 40, and see both the Packers & Patriots as the bottom two, I just shake my head. Obviously those slow pokes have done a pretty good job of moving the ball down the field, because they do something right, that speedier teams like the Brown (near the top of the list I might add) don't.

I realize speed is essential on a team, and the more you have, the better it can be, if the combination of speed added to the player is good. But, based on that one composite, why does anyone believe the Packers are slow?

Before we go down that route, people might want to look at this little bit about team speed, since the Packers happen to be one of the top 10 fastest teams in the league, 2016.

But, as I've indicated, you give away a little bit to get guys who can stay on their feet on a lousy field.

Speed - Top 10 NFL, 2016

I remember well that’s all Al(zheimer) Davis would draft for was straight forward speed and his teams all sucked.

Give me football players any day of the week!

aaaarrrggghhh. once again, the article is talking about football speed - not straight forward, running in shorts and track shoes on a flat surface speed.

aaaarrrggghhh. once again, the article is talking about football speed - not straight forward, running in shorts and track shoes on a flat surface speed.
Hey...don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see more game speed (not sure how they measure that and don’t care enough to read the article honestly) on the Packers. Where I think it’s super critical is on defense. Seattle destroyed the ‘greatest offense in history’ in the SB a couple of years ago because their defensive speed was phenomenal. I ache to see the Packers with that!

It drove Al Davis crazy that Fred Biletnikoff was so slow that he ran sprints with the linebackers, instead of WRs. He wouldn't press himself against the WRs because he knew he was going to get waxed! With the LBs, he could hold his own, and ran like the wind (comparatively).

Yet, week after week, the Raiders QBs, Stabler & Lamonica, considered Fred their "go to guy," who could get them yardage. I remember Stabler being interviewed, on a day when Fred made a one handed catch for a TD.

"That was a great catch!" The announcer said. Stabler, with a straight face said; "He's always making catches that nobody else can. Coyote don't miss any of them!"

Year after year, Davis wanted to find a replacement for him. Someone with speed. They came and went, some had very good careers, but absolutely nobody, no matter how fast, could accomplish more than him. He's in the football hall of fame, and that's reserved for the best of all time.

Back