Former NFL player blames limited time in pads for the league’s wretched OL play

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Former NFL player blames limited time in pads for the league’s wretched OL play

Hard to disagree with him...

“I think when you come down to practice, offensive line needs more practice time than a defensive lineman does because there’s so much stuff to learn — so many more variables we have to understand,” Deese said, via The 49ers Insider Podcast with Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “For one defense, sometimes there might be three different ways to block that play. So when you start cutting down practice schedules, and say you only have this amount of time per week, and this amount of time per day, it’s hard to get all of that in. It’s hard to get all the reps you actually need to be successful. When they cut that down, something’s going to suffer, and you see what suffers.”

I totally agree. I also think that the lack of practice tackling effects that aspect of the game. I also think a lot of injuries are happening because the players aren't under "game conditions" in practices, making them more susceptible to injuries.

I think the game has gone soft in a lot of ways, and it's hurting them across the board.

On Sirius NFL radio other day a former Giants OL said same thing. Said limited pads hurt OL because in shorts you can't learn to use your hands to leverage against pads. But the players want less practice time because they would rather be lazier then get better to help them earn bigger contracts. Pretty much all coaches want more pad time and I think most players would think it would help also. As long as they are not being two a days why not give coaches the choice to put in players in pads or not. If the players say hey coach we are tired can we have a day in shorts then it's up to the HC if he wants to let his guys have a easy day.

Back