Final Grades: Defensive Linemen

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

This is the sixth of a nine-part series in which the 67 players on the Green Bay Packers’ 53-man roster and reserve/injured list at the end of the season are graded. Playing-time percentages are from offense and defense only.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (5)

MONTRAVIUS ADAMS (6.2%): The rookie fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot in the first practice of training camp and didn’t make it back until Game 3. Third-round draft choice could hardly have made less of an impact. In terms of talent, Adams might rank second on the unit to Kenny Clark. Yet he also appears to be lazy, as was evident at Auburn in his first two seasons as a starter. He went from underachiever to achiever as a senior, and the Packers can only hope the same pattern unfolds for them. At least half of Adams’ 65 snaps were inside on third-and-long situations. He finished with one pressure. He has movement and can get off the ball, but little worked in his first go-round against NFL interior linemen. It became clear that the staff didn’t trust Adams against the run. He appeared to react late and at times was displaced by double teams. Adams needs to redefine his body, get in better shape and grow up fast in 2018. Grade: D-minus.

KENNY CLARK (65.2%): Made enormous strides in his second season to become the best player on defense if not the entire team. Served as the fulcrum of a solid run defense but also improved significantly as a pass rusher. The Packers saw Clark blossom in his second season in much the same fashion as B.J. Raji, their last first-round nose tackle, did in 2010. Clark might be even stouter than Raji was at the point of attack at his finest but Raji, despite being 20-25 pounds heavier, might have been slightly quicker and a notch better as a pass rusher. Raji had 4 ½ tackles for loss and 33 pressures in 1,070 snaps in 2010 compared to five TFLs and 18 pressures in 688 snaps for Clark. He’s a natural holding double-teams, sees the ball well and disengages quickly from blocks. He led the defense in forced fumbles with two and ranked second to Mike Daniels in tackles per snap (one every 8.82) among D-linemen. Played through a high-ankle sprain in mid-November, missing just one game. Team player. The NFC North also can boast NTs Linval Joseph of Minnesota, Eddie Goldman of Chicago and A’Shawn Robinson of Detroit, a murderer’s row which should serve to keep Clark motivated. Grade: A-minus.

MIKE DANIELS (59.7%): Any defense would love to have 10 Mike Daniels’. Down in, down out, he gives phenomenal effort. Exerts leadership with words and actions. Every offense takes measures to prevent Daniels from making five or six plays and wrecking their attack. Started out like a whirlwind in the opener against Seattle but, like the defense, seldom got back to that level. Led the D-line for the first time in tackles per snap (one every 8.75) and tied Clark for the lead in TFLs (five). Missed three tackles, half of Clark’s total. Wasn’t responsible for any runs of 20 yards or more after allowing six in 2015-’16. Double teams or not, Daniels was somewhat disappointing as a pass rusher. Settled for 19 ½ pressures, his low since 2012 and well off his marks of 31 ½ in 2016 and 32 in ’15. Grade: B.

QUINTON DIAL (29.3%): Ex-49er starter was signed off the street Sept. 5
when the Packers cut DT Christian Ringo, who ended up playing 131 snaps late for Detroit. Ringo was much quicker but Dial was more heavy-handed. Dial became a consistent, capable contributor over his 13 games. Cuts an imposing figure at 6-5 ½, 318, and has 34 ½-inch arms. Massive block-eater. Hard to budge. Can’t run at all (5.31), offering next to nothing out of the stack against screens. Little slow to shed blocks and recognize blocking combinations. Very limited pass rusher. Thrashes against double teams, even some single blocks. Just two pressures but a competitive third on the unit in tackles per snap (one every 9.7). Only one-half tackle for loss. Will be 28 in June but figures to be back battling for a berth in 2018. Grade: C-minus.

DEAN LOWRY (47%): Started all season at 5-technique in the 3-4 base defense and filled in everywhere. Extremely intelligent (Wonderlic of 31). Able to play any position in any front from an assignment standpoint. Showed overall improvement in his second season. Stopped lining up so far off the ball and began getting to the blocker’s edge on occasion. Finished with 11 pressures, up from 8 ½ as a rookie. Works hard to compensate for short arms (31). Has ideal height (6-5 ½) for the position, gives high effort and has some big-play knack. Grade: C.

The post Final Grades: Defensive Linemen appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

I pretty much agree with these rankings. One exception. I think the fact that Lowry was capable of moving around, and doing so well, gives him a B+. Not everyone can play as well across the board as he did. Next year, he's going to be a force with Daniels and Clark. I have very little faith in Adams becoming a true starter. I also think he's lazy, and won't play too well until it's a contract year.

I pretty much agree with these rankings. One exception. I think the fact that Lowry was capable of moving around, and doing so well, gives him a B+. Not everyone can play as well across the board as he did. Next year, he's going to be a force with Daniels and Clark. I have very little faith in Adams becoming a true starter. I also think he's lazy, and won't play too well until it's a contract year.

That's 2 position rankings in a row that you've agreed with. Obviously Bob has learned to consult you before going to press....:)

That's 2 position rankings in a row that you've agreed with. Obviously Bob has learned to consult you before going to press....:)

You caught me! rofl(

Montravius Adams was a rookie coming off a broken foot. He missed all of training camp and only played 65 snaps. D- is a harsh grade when he really should have gotten an incomplete. There is potential there.

Montravius Adams was a rookie coming off a broken foot. He missed all of training camp and only played 65 snaps. D- is a harsh grade when he really should have gotten an incomplete. There is potential there.

I agree. That was the one grade I really didn't agree with. As you said, it should have been an incomplete. Hopefully he hits the ground running in his second year. Could be a great surprise for this defense.

Now that we've had a house cleaning I'am going back on my 5 yr sb(. This group sucks and has sucked for years. Mike Daniels plays in streaks but for all his good he'll make 1-2 boneheaded mistakes per game that cost us.

Kenny Clark has been the most consistent DL they had for awhile but still not A - quality.Why so harsh you ask ?

Ladies and gents our LB and DB have had to contend with OL in the second level of the defense forever, it was this issue that screwed up AJ Hawk his last 2 seasons in GB. When your 2 MLB in the 34 D are spending all their time fighting off OL every snap because your lazy DL half blocks then it's just not going to work.

Bottom line .... When you don't control the line of scrimmage in a football game.. you lose more then you win.

csr()shkfst

Now that we've had a house cleaning I'am going back on my 5 yr sb(. This group sucks and has sucked for years. Mike Daniels plays in streaks but for all his good he'll make 1-2 boneheaded mistakes per game that cost us.

Kenny Clark has been the most consistent DL they had for awhile but still not A - quality.Why so harsh you ask ?

Ladies and gents our LB and DB have had to contend with OL in the second level of the defense forever, it was this issue that screwed up AJ Hawk his last 2 seasons in GB. When your 2 MLB in the 34 D are spending all their time fighting off OL every snap because your lazy DL half blocks then it's just not going to work.

Bottom line .... When you don't control the line of scrimmage in a football game.. you lose more then you win.

csr()shkfst
I will have to give you credit. You've been on that soap box for years.:D Capers outside of 1-2 years just couldn't get his scheme to in Green bay. DL is yet another position TT never seemed to give him enough help though.

Back