Draft Thought: Back to the Drawing Board

Terranimal

Reaction score
Wow, have never been so glad to be proven so wrong! At the writing of the first draft thoughts this team looked to be headed to rebuild mode. We were talking about Rodgers on decline, Thompson's bad picks and replacing McCarthy. Draft wise were looking at possible Top 10 pick and players in that range.

Now we are one win away from winning the Division and drafting late again in every round. They say winning solves a lot of problems. Saw that yesterday between Rodgers and McCarthy. Speaking of Rodgers, don't know what happened, but he's got his mojo back and looking like the former MVP again. Some of the plays he made against the Vikes reminded me of Favre.

Think 3 factors helped change the Offense around. Monty and having a running game helps a lot of woes. The O-Line is playing better and as a cohesive unit. And having TE playing on the field. Having both a TE and a receiving RB has helped the WRs.

Though in my opinion the need list hasn't changed, believe the order of priority has. Drafting now near bottom of every round will force Thompson to go BAP and draft will dictate who is there. And as always the case, some good player will be there that was projected to go earlier but is there as teams reach, go on positional runs, or desperate teams go for QBs. So we really can't rule out too many positions at that point of the draft, whether that's an OL, DL, LB, WR, RB, TE, Secondary.

But imo the biggest need on this team is Corner. Without Shields this unit has been awful. Can make an argument for OLB/ Pass Rusher with Matthews oft injured and getting older, Peppers gone and so on. But watching the Secondary constantly burned in what was considered the strength of the Defense at start if the season is a disgrace and puts excessive pressure on the Offense as teams keep torching us.

Though we have already spent a 1st and 2nd round picks here two drafts back, they have yet to pan out. Can remember back after Favre's SB and losing our top Corner same thing happened and Wolf spent first 3 picks on Corners to find one. Would say maybe use free agency but 2 problems there.....one is we don't use it much and second good corners break the bank. With what most consider a deep draft for Corners it just might be that Thompson could hit paydirt at this point of the draft.......

I agree with your basic thought that the needs haven't changed but the order has.. I'll leave my thoughts on the FO aside for a moment in regards to that. Cook gives GB the flexibility to wait for a good young TE that can develop.

Needs as of now:

1) CB
2) CB coach
3) ILB
4) OLB
5) RB
6) DL
7) OL
8) WR
9) TE

If GB can address CB and OLB in the draft that would be huge. And I don't mean guys who are "players" that GB thinks can shift positions. I mean guys who actually play those positions and know those positions.

Olb is way higher then ilb. We need pass rushers and if we lose Perry we really need help.
I would love to see ILB improved, but the fastest way to improve it is to get another DL who actually does his job. A 3-4 defense relies on the LBs being kept clean, that seems different because we haven't seen it much. Clark is very young and he should be improved next year. Daniels has the heart we're looking for, but is undersized. I am convinced that signing DT Johnathan Hankins from the Giants would be a great first step in making the defense better. With Martinez and Ryan playing solid but unspectacular and Hankins helping push the pocket we might even see our OLB play improve along with less time for opposing QBs to pick apart our DBs. (they also might benefit from better DL play). Sign Hankins BEFORE the draft, then take CB/EDGE in the first two rounds.:cool:

Back