Draft and Packer Thoughts......

Terranimal

Reaction score
Been awhile since Packers have been in this position. We have had a pretty good run and defied the odds with winning seasons and play off appearances when that's not how the NFL is set up. So Packer fan have been spoiled over last 20 years. Most teams never get a Franchise QB, much less a Hall of Fame QB. Packers have had 3 and 2 back to back. (Starr, Favre, and Rodgers) So life has been good for Packer fans. Most fans now days weren't likely even around for the drought years of the 70s and 80s where we the joke of the NFL and where teams threatened to send you if you screwed up.

No doubt this team is at the crossroads. We all know the problems, have discussed problems, changing or not changing either or both Thompson and McCarthy along with or separately parts or all of their staffs. Then there's been many discussions on Rodgers and then whether to trade him or not and the ramifications of doing that. We have beaten this to death. Then there's the players themselves on who to keep, cut, trade, restructure and so on. So we don't know what will happen if anything or nothing.

Lucky the plan and strategy will be laying out is what should be regardless of any change of GM, HC, DC, or players. More on that in a minute.

First and foremost this executive decision needs to be made and firing forthcoming.....Fire the Entire Training Staff!

Injuries are a part of the game....knees, arms legs broken, back and other ligaments. However since at least '09 this team has had unusual amounts of them and this year the worst and even worse then the Super Bowl year. Will conceded that injuries are up league wise for whatever reasons....shorter and less contact practices in training camp, players bigger/ faster. But still we have more players hurt and it's not just one season but seems every year. Won't touch on concussions as a lot of that is poor tackling technique and some just due to playing the game and strange things happening.

Going to go a little personal here and kind of backing up my reasoning (hopefully). Like most young WI boys played football and did wrestling up through HS. Anyways jumping ahead have pretty much worked physical work all my life, maybe cause of growing up on a farm or whatever, but even though my degree would give me an inside job, stuck to this. Well driving home in '97 was stopped waiting to make a left turn and call home as was running late. Got rear ended by a mechanical van going 50mph. Hit so hard it bent my 8 ft box and class 4 hitch on my 4x4 to the wheel wells. Was messed up a long time and doctors said would never be able to lift more then 15lbs rest of my life and were talking back surgery. Nothing was working until I got into physical therapy with a guy who used to work with Badger Football players....story short saved my butt! Rehabbed my ass off, avoided surgery and at almost 53 5'9" 195 still outwork and lift 20 and 30 something's. Even had my own tree business until '08. Have exercises/ stretching do everyday that he gave me to do.

Point is something isn't right up there. So desperate they have went to yoga and that hasn't worked for crap by everyone on IR..so yeah training staff needs to go.....

On to the Plan:

Many here haven't been around or know my background and won't bore as that is here in a thread. But am going to give some draft data and background which is backed up by research.

There are reasons why this team has taken steos backwards talent wise. And no it's not because we picked later in every round either otherwise the same teams wouldn't be drafting top 10 almost every year.

It's not cause Thompson sucks either, though no talent evaluator is best at every position and why you have staffs or in case of like when Rob Rang and I with others would work and help each other and compare notes years ago.

No Thompson's problems is that he broke his own rules and rules of drafting and not putting the odds in his favor. Ignoring the basic principles eventually comes back to bite you, especially when you don't use free agency to fill holes or cover drafting mistakes.

Compounding his problems was keep going back year after year for same positions, drafting for need, and ignoring other positions and not taking best available player....I know every pick he says he does, but clearly has not been the case in recent years and instead drafted for need and reached taking players round or 2 earlier then they were rated and left higher rated players in the board. OK enough this isn't a bash Thompson thread it's about The Fix.

Those with me through the years can remember talking and linking to Draft Theories. Already laid out one of the major principles of drafting best player vs need and bettering your club. There is also an order too.... Basically in order goes like this: Franchise QB, OT to protect blindside, then can make argument of which...Shut Down Corner, Pass Rusher, GO-TO #1WR, RB and then so on.

More research has been done over the years and you can check this out for yourselves at Ourlads. Two parts here. First is what position provides instant impact as a rookie. First is RB, then CB, and then S and so on.

Second part and this is the real meat of everything is a piece there called Importance of day one: two deep. Research backed this up on which rounds or even undrafted give you the best odds at what positions for success. Not going to go through every position here and would suggest if not familiar with this to go and read it for yourselves.

Then there are formulas for players workouts and so forth. Some merit to this however none of it should deter from what is seen on field. And then the intangibles and back grounds which fans aren't privy too unless it's leaked by an agent.

Next is some of my own over the years. Tend to give a little more weight to players not on great teams....example....have more for a DE that dominated on a dismal D-Line his junior year and was double and tripled team his senior year so numbers down but effort still there and still had some results.....big motors, heart and desire can over come short comings in some cases, especially if a student of the game.

So a big decision needs to be made. Too many holes to fill even with free agency. So do you go all Defense again? Go Offense? Or a sprinkling on both?

Imo regardless you go for impact early rounds.....both player wise and rookie impact wise. Lucky our biggest needs (we all know those as another dead horse) are Secondary and RB. That is where Thompson should go, especially if drafting Top 10. The two deep research says best odds for Corners are round one and undrafted. RBs are round 1 and 2. Btw if wondering on OLB? Best odds are round 3 and undrafted.

Imo you do the best for your best player and that is Rodgers. Off Big Board have 2 players rated higher then one will name for Rodgers. That is S Peppers from Mich and Tabor CB from Florida. Peppers is that high impact player with athletics. Tabor is a tall faster corner that imo has best shot to become a shut down Corner

Now if those two gone and this player on the board I rush the pick in and don't think twice.....FSU RB Cook. Well put together back with speed, vision, hands etc. Would give Packers a RB haven't had since Ahmed Green and we remember what Green did for Favre. Debate on going on Rodgers and his skills. Regardless every great QB needs a RB....this is a special back that defenses would have to respect as receiver and runner as he has a chance to break off long chunks and home run threat Everytime touches the ball which should help open up our WRs and TEs.

And speaking of TE if we end up top10 of every round would go for one in round 2 if one of these are there regardless of which direction went rd one....have 4 on big board for later roundn1 through round 2. The good is all 4 are tall, receiving types and good red zone targets....bad as has been trends over recent years is all need work on blocking.

So if we get Corner or defense rd 1, and say go TE rd2, there are still RBs that should be there in rd3. They won't be like Cook, but still good.

So the fix....get Rodgers a tall TE target and a RB. Get Defense a good Corner. Not a total fix and didn't go every round yet filling holes and need.... hopefully that will come later.....but this hopefully gets thinking and talk started:)

Nice read T. Depending on where we end up (could be a top 10 the way things are going) a small trade down could still net Cook around 15. It's really hard to anticipate TT, but there is one other player I'm starting to crush on because he would fill a perceived need and his intangibles and leadership (maybe our biggest void) is Rueben Foster ILB from Alabama.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...e-best-most-complete-lb-alabama-crimson-tide/

Otherwise, yes- I like your plan. Another CB I think has really come on is Adoree Jackson from USC. He has dominated the last two months, not as big as Tabor but he is faster and very athletic. Also, who wouldn't love Jake Butt on the Packers. We could follow that up with Nick Chubb in the third! Butt and Chubb, better than Bulaga.

I know we shouldn't draft for need but should we invest a really high draft pick on a RB? Can he really make that big a difference? sh)) I keep hearing his name bandied about on various Packers forums but I haven't watched him play yet.

Pack here turned me onto him and so watch him play last weekend. Yes is that good. I'm not usually big on RB in the 1st in today's NFL but yes on him.

Just broke Warren Dunn's record and is all time leading rusher at FSU and think 3rd on all time conference list and did it in fewest number of games ans the kid has hands for passing game.. remember we are talking impact players and quickest to impact as a rookie....both important given needs of team and Rodgers age imo

Excellent analysis Terranimal. I'm puzzled by teams and their boards. Rating players by position is great, and essential. But, when you're done, you should be listing them all out, from what you consider the best player down to about #250, because of sandwiched comp picks.

If you do that, and believe in your board, you automatically get the best player on the board, and should automatically based on your needs for improvement. I realize that means you could end up grabbing two straight left tackles, but when you already fill one need, and are looking at another one, you can move up the line that's left based on your ratings, or even down a few spots, to get someone who fills some need.

It's not a chess game. It's not even checkers. It's "Pick a guy!" Just do it!

Nice post "T". Pretty much agree with your ideas though I also struggle with taking a RB that high. Of course you can look at Dallas and see what a good all around back can do for you.

Right now, I'd take the CB if available (though it's likely he won't be). You have enough complementary DB pieces to make things work, you just don't have that stud, take away one WR type guy, that lets you slide the safety to the other side and still have a safety free to cover TEs and RBs down the seam.

That said, a true all around back with some speed can work wonders if used properly. In the passing game he becomes another weapon coming at the defense from different spots on the field. You really don't have to game-plan much for the Packer RBs in the passing game right now. Plus a back that can add some impact plays would be nice. Lacy is OK, but once in the clear you really don't usually believe he will score. Someone will run him down in fairly short order.

You can't fill all the needs, but fortunately, while we need depth and some help at some positions, it's not like this team is totally devoid of talent like some are. A talented CB, a playmaker at RB and probably another pass rusher would go a long way towards fixing what ails this team. Not a complete fix, but a long way. You can probably get at least 2 of the above and maybe all 3 if you are picking as high as the Packers might end up picking this year.

Well if TT is abandoning sound draft strategy and having it backfire then ya he sucks.. :p

Nice write up as always! At this point with so many needs. Just take BPA wherever that happens to be. There is no position on this team that is so stacked we couldn't afford another impact player. So damn the torpedoes and full speed BPA ahead!

Thanks to all who read here and to those who make reply posts. Will be addressing responses to replies here in the next installment. Consider this part 1. Had a lot for this one but didn't realized how long it was and had to cut it short.

For now will clear up a couple things.

1.) Point of this installment was mainly educational on Principles of drafting especially in early rounds where Thompson has been even worse at then Wolf was. Also was Impact of rookies and what positions usually contribute as rookies odds wise. It wasn't to say that IF a better rated positional player is on the board verses say CB or RB that you don't take that player. Just that the player will take longer to make an impact as a rule. The player might be rated a blue chip and Pro Bowl possible so yeah you don't pass over a player like that.

Hope this clears this up. Again check out Ourlads that have referenced to. If more questions on this express them and will try to explain better.

2.) Obviously we need a possible Shut Down Corner. We don't know how the draft will unfold or our position yet. If I confused am sorry. Was saying yes if one is there would take that over any position. The point was that if off board at time of our pick then would go RB and only this RB also in round one. And it was only one scenario and we know those are endless.

3.) Dubz that Corner is on my list. Questions are where does he go? Have seen him from Top 10 through round 2. Not big btw on taking an ILB in round one and the research bares this out. For instance Ray Lewis was drafted round 2. Also following Draft Theories ILB is down on the list. I get the thought and reasoning, but imo we have bigger holes and needs at this stage. Again that's my opinion and not saying right or wrong. :)

I know ILB isn't historically a good investment in round one. BUT, when you watch this leaderless, heartless defense play- it starts to make more sense. We run a 3-4, LBs are supposed to be the strongest position on the team. I don't mind our ILBs right now, but they are in the AJ Hawk mode of good, lunchpail guys who tackle but don't HIT and they hardly EVER make a play. Rueben Foster could be the cure for the cancer that eats at our defense. We need a leader with a nasty disposition IMO. Not saying we have to take him, just saying we could really use a guy like that.

Ray Lewis was the 26th pick in the first round 1996.

One of the things about rookie players on defense (or in general) is that it takes them a while to build up to that leadership role. Years.

I wouldn't put as much stock in it because I heard Chmura say it on Monday, but yesterday Brian Urlacher was on with Rich Eisen and he talked about that topic for a good 5 minutes.

Another thing that I've been thinking about: TT is really dipping into UDFA too much.

Of the 53 guys on our opening day roster, 13 were rookies and 6 of them were UDFA. The Sam Shields "diamond in the rough" is an aberration, not the norm.

Back