DPF2016.5

DenverPackFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be my final mock or not. For this one, I'll assume no further free agency moves and no trades.

Round 1 - pick #27:
Chris Jones (DT - Mississippi St.)

There are several players that I considered here. Some that I might have taken that I assume will be gone by our pick include: Darron Lee, Leonard Floyd, Sheldon Rankins, Jack Conklin, Taylor Decker, Laquon Treadwell, Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson and Shaq Lawson. Plus all of the consensus top of the draft guys like Goff, Bosa, etc.

There are a few other players that merit serious consideration, such as Spriggs, Ragland and Spence that may or may not be available here but that I would pass on for Jones.

I have a group of 5 DT's that are all in consideration for this pick: Jones, Butler, Billings, Clark and Hargrave, although I suspect that one or two of them may be picked before now. Each of these 5 guys have good qualities, but I feel that Jones is the best of them. While Hargrave had the best 40-yard dash, 20-yard dash, 10-yard split and vertical leap of this group and was 2nd in the broad jump and bench press, I'm going with the guy that had the best shuttle and the best 3-cone time of these 5.

Jones hasn't always been consistent, but he is young and improving. He has some elite characteristics and has immense upside.

Round 2 - pick #57:
Sean Davis (CB - Maryland)

There are a few players that might slip, such as Calhoun, and I don't know if I could pass on Sterling Sheppard, but here I have us taking another DB as an early-round pick. Many would call this a reach, but he has 4.44 speed, a 37.5 vertical, 3.97 shuttle and a 6.64 3-cone time. He should be able to play any DB position which gives us flexibility. We lost our slot corner this off-season and he should be an upgrade to Hyde. Gives us quality depth to deal with injuries.

Round 3 - pick #88:
B.J. Goodson (LB - Clemson)

This may be a tad early for him, but I don't think he lasts until our 4th-round picks. He showed at the combine that he is more athletic than given credit for. I don't know that there is a huge drop-off from Ragland with this pick two rounds later. There are some other LB's that I like later in the draft, but here we take one of the leaders of one of the top defenses in the nation last year. He's definitely a thumper but I think he would give us more than just two downs. Combined with Jones and Davis and we've made a serious upgrade to an already-improving defensive unit.

Round 4 - pick #125:
Michael Thomas (WR - Southern Mississippi)

A repeat from my 4th mock. He's got serious upside and we should be able to let him develop with our returning depth at WR.

Round 4 - pick #131 (comp):
Dadi Nicolas (LB - Virginia Tech)

More of a pick for the future, but he is athletic and we have known interest in him.

Round 4 - pick #137 (comp):
Willie Beavers (OL - Western Michigan)

Enough defensive, here's some depth for the OL. Beavers has some good traits. He might be able to play LT, but at worst should be a swing tackle or OG.

Round 5 - pick #163
Joe Thuney (OL - N.C. State)

He's been in my first two mocks and he's back. I think he is very versatile and is very athletic. I think he's be great for our depth and taking 2 OL in the mid rounds fits what TT tends to do.

Round 6 - pick #200
Darius Jackson (RB - Eastern Michigan

He's been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but he has great speed and size and we can use some depth at RB.

Round 7 - pick #248
Luke Rhodes (ILB - William and Mary)

More of a thumper, but we have known interest in him.

Overall like your thoughts and picks. However will give ya something to think about or counter.

TT has spent 3 high picks (2 CB and Dix) over last couple of drafts and don't forget Shields is signed and was undrafted. So really don't see another high pick spent this year there with other needs.

Speaking of other needs, am surprised you didn't address what are the 2 top needs IMO.....TE and OLB.....talked at length on other threads about this.

Agree with you on rankings at ILB and also like RB Jackson where u took him if he lasts that long.

Btw do think TT will grab another CB but thinking either late Rd pick or undrafted fa.

Overall like your thoughts and picks. However will give ya something to think about or counter.

TT has spent 3 high picks (2 CB and Dix) over last couple of drafts and don't forget Shields is signed and was undrafted. So really don't see another high pick spent this year there with other needs.

Speaking of other needs, am surprised you didn't address what are the 2 top needs IMO.....TE and OLB.....talked at length on other threads about this.

Agree with you on rankings at ILB and also like RB Jackson where u took him if he lasts that long.

Btw do think TT will grab another CB but thinking either late Rd pick or undrafted fa.

FYI T they really love James Bradberry CB/S from Stamford... late 4th or 5th rounder. He can fill that extra DB slot they love.

We've lost Hayward and Goodson is facing suspension and hasn't been that good anyway. Hyde is a free agent after this season and Shields could be a cap causality next year. Add it all up and I think DB is a bigger need that most would think after taking 2 in the first 2 rounds last year.

I've read that they love Bradberry, but I remember that there was a similar prospect that they liked last year and they went a different route. I forget his name, but someone here probably remembers.

I'd like to get a stud OLB as I think it is more important and far more valuable than ILB. It is just hard to find the value in this draft in the early rounds. I think that Floyd will be gone. He has the best measurables. If we take Spence, I could totally be on board for that. I think #27 is too early for Correa. I'm guessing that Lawson and Lee will be taken before then. I've thought about Ogbah, but that seems a lot like Nick Perry 2.0

TE is a difficult position this draft. There isn't anyone that is overwhelming and we did sign a FA. Higbee has the most upside, I think, but I don't know what to make of his recent incident.

This year is tough to figure out what we might do. We don't have the glaring hole anywhere on the roster that we have in recent years like last year when we had to replace the 2 CB's that we lost in free agency or the year before when safety had been a black hole for a couple of seasons. We definitely need to improve in a few areas but harder to pin down what we'll address first.

Agree that DBs probably don't get the attention this year because of the heavy investment the last two years. TT does know how to spread it around. The DB to replace Goodson is the Robertson Daniel. Impact player on the edge is needed. I just don't know that we will be able to pass up Ragland, I now we could find an ILB later, but his intangibles and talent are tough to pass in comparison to others left at 27.
I think Jones is high on TTs list and very well could be our 1st pick. We know TTs board is set BEFORE the combine and I don't know that anyone moves up that far on his board without more tape being available.
Very tough year to figure out. Does he like Spriggs enough to take him in the first? How soon does he try to show us how smart he is and hit us with the 'Khyri' pick? Tough year, should be interesting.

My personal man crushes, guys I would love to see in Green and Gold:
Fackrell, Virgil, Billings, Chris Jones, RB Jonathan Williams, WR Keyaress Garrett and Hooper.

Agree that DBs probably don't get the attention this year because of the heavy investment the last two years. TT does know how to spread it around. The DB to replace Goodson is the Robertson Daniel. Impact player on the edge is needed. I just don't know that we will be able to pass up Ragland, I now we could find an ILB later, but his intangibles and talent are tough to pass in comparison to others left at 27.
I think Jones is high on TTs list and very well could be our 1st pick. We know TTs board is set BEFORE the combine and I don't know that anyone moves up that far on his board without more tape being available.
Very tough year to figure out. Does he like Spriggs enough to take him in the first? How soon does he try to show us how smart he is and hit us with the 'Khyri' pick? Tough year, should be interesting.

My personal man crushes, guys I would love to see in Green and Gold:
Fackrell, Virgil, Billings, Chris Jones, RB Jonathan Williams, WR Keyaress Garrett and Hooper.

I had to look up Daniel. Hope he does well and he might be the Goodson replacement. But we're still down a DB after losing Hayward and Randall/Rollins/Shields seem to be injured a little too much for comfort.

I agree about needing an impact edge player - I just don't know that this a good draft for that. Spence is probably the best player that is likely to be available at #27.

I've got mixed feelings on Ragland. He could very well be our pick and I think he would be a very solid choice. I'm just not convinced that he is a special talent or that the value is really there. I look at someone like Goodson and I'm not sure how much of a drop-off there is from Ragland although we could probably get him 2 rounds later. Or should we be looking at a more athletic ILB like Nick Vigil? My hunch is that just like we passed over Anthony and Kendricks in the 1st round last and took Ryan later, we'll see Ragland get passed on this year if he is available.

Back