DPF2016.4 - post free agency edition

DenverPackFan

Reaction score
Here is my update now that we have a much better idea of our roster after the initial feeding frenzy in free agency.

We've resigned Crosby, Guion, Perry and Starks while Raji has retired. Casey Hayward has signed with the Chargers. Our biggest need remains ILB with other needs being a complementary TE, OL depth and DL depth. We also need someone to replace Hayward.

For this mock, I will sign one free agent, Karlos Dansby. Because he was cut, he won't factor into next year's compensatory picks. He's a proven veteran who wants a chance at a ring and won't break the bank because he's toward the end of his career. However, he is still a very good ILB and signing him solves our biggest need giving us flexibility in the draft.

The draft - the number is the CBS ranking as of 3/14/2016:

Round 1 - pick #27:
Mackenzie Alexander (CB - Clemson; 21)

This would probably be the first CB under 5' 11" drafted by TT, but the guy has skills. Along with Randall and Rollins, we'll have a great trio of young defensive backs. If he was an inch or two taller, he's a top-15 pick, maybe top 10.

Round 2 - pick #55:
Javon Hargrave (DT - South Carolina St.; 90)

This may seem like a reach but he could be a steal.

Round 3 - pick #88:
Tyler Higbee (TE - Western Kentucky; 124)

Other TE prospect are ranked higher, but Higbee could be just what we need to go along with Richard Rodgers.

Round 4:
Mike Thomas (WR - Southern Miss; 217)

I've been trying to work this guy into a mock but keep taking Sterling Shepard. Since this mock is trying to be a little different, this seems like a good spot to take the other Michael Thomas.

Check out this scouting report: http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/20...g-report-southern-mississippi-wr-mike-thomas/

Round 4 (comp):
Travis Feeney (LB - Washington; 142)

Athletic tweener that can be a chess piece in our defense.

Round 4 (comp):
Cole Toner (OT - Harvard; 125)

I'm going to have an OT as a comp pick in every mock. This fits what TT tends to do. I actually prefer Thuney, but have used him already a couple of times so here is another Ivy leaguer to keep Tretter company.

Round 5:
Isaac Seumalo (OG - Oregon St.; 167)

More OL depth. Versatile lineman.

Round 6:
Antwaun Woods (DT - Southern Cal.; 234)

More DL depth.

Round 7:
Penny Vea (DB - UNLV; 896)

Why draft a guy ranked #896 by CBS? We probably won't but I just saw this blurb about him on rotoworld:

Only two scouts were on hand to witness UNLV S Peni Vea's domination of the program's Pro Day on Thursday.
While a billion scouts (approximate) were present during Ohio State's Pro Day just over a week ago, the Rebels saw just two on Thursday. And boy howdy, those two were treated to a show by Vea. The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder ran 40-yard dashes of 4.40 and 4.48 seconds while registering a vertical jump of 41.5 inches. That vertical number tied the best NFL Scouting Combine jumps from February, as FSU DB Jalen Ramsey and UCLA RB Daniel Lasco both notched that same flight height. He wasn't invited to the Combine proper, nor any post-season contests like the Shrine Game. "I was a little surprised by [those snubs]," Vea said, "but that’s not my decision to make. I’ll prove it in stuff like [Thursday's Pro Day]. I just hope to land somewhere." Last season, he registered 80 tackles (3.0 for loss), a sack, an interception and a forced fumble.

Interesting mock. Would be extremely surprised if TT would spend a 1st on a shorter corner. For years he vowed never to draft one under 6' because of the T-Buck disaster.

Interesting mock. Would be extremely surprised if TT would spend a 1st on a shorter corner. For years he vowed never to draft one under 6' because of the T-Buck disaster.
I'd be even more surprised, since we don't only have Randall and Rollins, but also Shields for 2 more years (at minimum). I he was clearly the highest rated guy available, then OK. It's a passing league.

I don't think this is too likely of a scenario, but I was trying to do something a little different this time instead of taking a DL in round 1. It also heavily depends on signing Dansby which is probably less than 50:50, but as time drags on I like our chances more and more.

Back