DPF 2016.2 - pre-combine edition

Oh, believe me, I'm on board with making this OL better. Even in my "defense" mock I grabbed a pair of OTs. In principle, I don't necessarily mind trading a future pick but you usually don't get great value for future picks so I'm not inclined to do it unless a get a good deal, but a lot of these deals end up getting a 2nd in exchange for giving up a 1st. I'm good with trade-up and trade-down scenarios that make sense. I guess I'd rather just stand pat on the picks and make the the off-season better with a key FA or two. I know it's not TTs way to operate, but A guy can hope.

OK, I'll be a bit negative. I like the players in the mock, so no problem with that. Not sure I agree with the strategy. Who was the last true premier LT to take a team to a Super Bowl? Over the last 20 years, the Super Bowl winner has had an all-pro left tackle only twice and a Pro Bowler only four times.

Having one is a nice bonus, but hardly necessary to be a Super Bowl team. On that basis, I'm not sure why I'd trade the opportunity to draft a difference maker for a nice to have LT. We were inches away from a Super Bowl in 2014 with BahkT. Maybe it's just me, but I have no desire to give up a first round pick right now. Give me a potential starter in Rd 1 and a back-up tackle in one of the next 2 rounds. Again, maybe it's just me.

Good points. Would you be more interested if it was our 2nd round pick instead of the 1st and getting back a high 3rd?

Oh, believe me, I'm on board with making this OL better. Even in my "defense" mock I grabbed a pair of OTs. In principle, I don't necessarily mind trading a future pick but you usually don't get great value for future picks so I'm not inclined to do it unless a get a good deal, but a lot of these deals end up getting a 2nd in exchange for giving up a 1st. I'm good with trade-up and trade-down scenarios that make sense. I guess I'd rather just stand pat on the picks and make the the off-season better with a key FA or two. I know it's not TTs way to operate, but A guy can hope.

I think we definitely need at least 1 OT in this draft. I'm not satisfied with the depth on the offensive line beyond Tretter. Was it against Arizona (regular season) where we had some series with only 1 of the 5 starters on the field? Plus, with 3 of those starters due to be free agents after next year we need to be looking ahead.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting an OT at #27 to be a backup to replace Barclay this year and take over for Bahktiari next year if we don't keep him. Just not sure who that might be. I'm pretty sure that both Tunsil and Stanley will be gone by our pick. Probably long gone, lol. After that, the next two seem to be Conklin and Decker. I haven't firmed up my opinion on those guys yet. There are some definite positives but some concerns that make me wonder if we'd be better off extending Bahktiari. Coleman seems like a boom or bust candidate. Spriggs sounds good, but maybe not quite 1st round value. After that, I think we're looking at backup quality and hoping to get lucky like we did with Bahktiari.

Finally found a blurb about Beniquez Brown:

image: http://www.walterfootball.com/college/MississippiState_logo.gif

MississippiState_logo.gif
Beniquez Brown, ILB, Mississippi State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 238.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2015): 2-4.

2/13/16: Brown had an impressive season for the Bulldogs and was a tough defender in the middle of their defense. In 2015, he totaled 99 tackles with 11 for a loss, four sacks, two passes broken up and an interception. Brown had 62 and 39 tackles as a sophomore and freshman, respectively.
Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016ILB.php#WUjY0Mizw3d3fEEy.99

Th s trade adds about $9 million against the cap factoring in dead money and Thomas cap hit. So if the $22m in cap space is correct, allicating $6m to rookie pool it takes it down to about $7m available before Crosby or any other FA. So not sure it works financially unless you release Peppers

There would definitely be a higher team salary for 2016. Long-term this would be partially offset by not having to pay Bahk and Adams.

Did anyone catch Sterling Shepard's combine numbers? He's almost identical in height and weight to Cobb, but had a better 40 time and better vertical. Maybe pick #65 is too optimistic for him.

There would definitely be a higher team salary for 2016. Long-term this would be partially offset by not having to pay Bahk and Adams.
2 years from now yes. But to make this work in 2016 you have to release Peppers.

Back