Don Granato leaves UW hockey for job with Chicago Blackhawks

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Just over a year ago Barry Alvarez managed to put together one of the all-time great coaching staffs in college hockey history. Tony Granato’s hire came along with two big names, his brother Don and former UW assistant and Ohio State head coach Mark Osiecki. The dream team didn’t last long though, as the program announced on Thursday afternoon that Don was off to take a job as an...

Source

Continue reading...

Tony, Donny, and Mark took a team that had a combined 12 wins the previous two seasons and got to 20 and one game away from making the tournament. I'd have loved to see one more year of all 3, but I'd bet that this Blackhawks offer wasn't the only one that came down the line.

I know they'll make a good hire, and I know they'll keep making progress. Go Badgers!

Based on Tony's background, we can count on the next guy up being someone who really has the same mentality as Don. We're talking a guy who will be making a mark on Wisconsin hockey just like Mark Johnson, and his Daddy, with the men, before him. These are the kind of people who thrive on finding the right fits for their teams.

Let's hope they continue Don's inroads to young recruits for the program.

Back