DFP2016.1 mock draft - post Super Bowl edition

DenverPackFan

Reaction score
Here is my first attempt of the year. I'll assume 2 4th-round compensatory picks (we may end up with a 4th and a 5th) and that we don't make any significant FA signings. I also assume that we'll lose at least one of Raji/Guion. Finally, I will assume no trades - which is unlikely.

Round 1 - Pick #27:
Vernon Butler (DT - Louisiana Tech; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #33)

I could see this pick going a lot of different ways and, of course, maybe someone else will slip, but for this mock we select a defensive lineman that is stout against the run but has pass rush ability and a good motor. This may seem like a reach now, especially given the depth of the position in this draft, but I think he will move up from his current ranking. *Note, he jumped from #49 to #33 on the CBS rankings as I was writing this!

Round 2- Pick #57:
Deion Jones (LB - LSU; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #84)

Another guy who played in Louisiana and that I think will climb the rankings if he has a good combine. He is undersized but athletic and fits that Deone Buchanon role that is in vogue now. It will be interesting to see who goes first, Jones or Su'a Cravens.

Round 3 - Pick #88:
Kamalei Correa (LB - Boise St.; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #107)

Athletic pass rusher. Peppers won't be around much longer and who knows about Perry and Neal.

Round 4:
Javon Hargrove (DT - South Carolina St.; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #123)

We double dip at DT due to the depth of the position in this draft.

Round 4 (comp pick):
James Cowser (DE - Southern Utah; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #145)

Another pass rusher. A bit older and played in a smaller conference but was the Big Sky defensive player of the year.

Round 4 (comp pick):
Joe Thuney (OL - NC State; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #293)

Depth for the offensive line. Thuney is very versatile having played all along the line and seems the sort of OT that the Packers like to take in the middle of the draft.

Round 5):
Tom Hackett (P - Utah; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #155)

I think he gets drafted lower than his ranking because he's a punter.

Round 6):
Jake McGee (TE - Florida; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #266)

Has been injured but could be a good complement to Richard Rodgers.

Round 7):
K. J. Dillon (S - West Virginia; CBS rank as of 2/8/16 #191)

He jumped 66 spots in the updated rankings so he may not last this long.

Draft Gurus go straight to the head of class, especially in this forum. It's soon time for the rest of us Packer die-hards to start studying some of these Collegiate players.

I'm probably the least-informed guru on the internet, lol. I don't watch much college football and have never played competitive football. But I read a lot on these guys during draft season and sometimes I get it right. I remember really wanting Mo Wilkerson the year that he got snatched 2 picks before us. I wonder if we would have taken him had he still been on the board. Of course, I also preferred Dontay Moch over Justin Houston and Randall Cobb and was shocked that all 3 were still on the board. But I would have taken the one bust over the two studs.

Of course, I also preferred Dontay Moch over Justin Houston and Randall Cobb and was shocked that all 3 were still on the board. But I would have taken the one bust over the two studs.

not so sure we can call cobb a "stud". dude was clearly not worth what we paid him this year.

Just stumbled across this article that mentions one of the guys I took in the 4th round in this mock. Other interesting reading, too.

http://lombardiave.com/2016/02/11/2016-nfl-draft-mid-round-3-4-outside-linebackers/2/

James Cowser has the potential of being a true steal in the middle rounds. He’s a highly underrated athlete for the position, and after he tests at the combine, he could even sneak into the end of day two with good enough workout numbers.

Coming from Southern Utah–a football program that still has yet to produce any draftable talent–Cowser is often overlooked. However, he put together four standout seasons for the Thunderbirds, breaking Jared Allen’s All-Big Sky career sack and tackles for loss records with 43 and 80, respectively.

West Team quarterback Nate Sudfeld (7) is sacked by East Team defensive lineman Victor Ochi (91). Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Cowser can win with speed or power off the edge, and he’s athletic enough to stand up and rush as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 look. He may be the biggest sleeper at the position and a guy that would be a tremendous fit in Dom Caper’s defense.

Back