Davante Adams A Rising Star Or Preseason Smoke ?

BratsnBeers

Reaction score
Is it all fluff or is Adams primed for an outbreak ?

Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb said recently that it will be difficult for him to top the numbers that he had while helping the team to another NFC North title last year.

Cobb’s rationale was that the Packers have a deep offense and that the rise of other players will cut into his opportunities. If you’re looking to bet on which of those players will impact Cobb, second-year wide receiver Davante Adams looks like a good way to go.

Adams’s ability has been a popular topic for people around the team this year and quarterback Aaron Rodgers added his voice to the crowd this week. Rodgers said that he hoped to see Adams do a better job in practice early last year and that he’s seen the growth he wanted to see from a player he believes is destined for big things.

“I never called out Davante by name last year. I was hoping that he would pick it up with his practice habits. But Davante is a very polished player, and he has an excellent demeanor for a guy who’s going to be a star,” Rodgers said, via ESPN Wisconsin. “I mean, he carries himself like a star – which is a very high compliment. There’s only been a few guys around here who’ve had that charisma: Charles [Woodson], Julius [Peppers], Greg [Jennings] always had it as a young player. But there’s very few guys that really ‘get it.” And he has supreme confidence, and it’s contagious. And I’m really proud of his approach and his attitude. It makes you want to get him the ball more. It makes you watch the film and have regrets about not giving him more opportunities. And that’s again, another compliment for him.”

From MM :
Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy named second-year wide receiver Davante Adams as the star of spring practices.

“If you want a clear example of a first-year player taking a second-year jump, you just saw it the last few weeks. He’s been really good in practice. If you want me to pick an MVP or all-star, it’s Davante,” McCarthy said following minicamp practice on Tuesday.

“I thought the practice was good. We got out of it what we hoped to get out of it,” McCarthy said of Tuesday’s workout.

So is this all just podo( or will Adams be the next great Packers WR ?

The learning curve of year 2 is much easier. Starting to not think about everything and just play. Adams was really decent for a rookie and seems to be growing into a solid starter.

The Packers WR always seems to take a big leap in year two. I think Adams has a big jump. I think in a few years Adams could be a guy to replace Nelson who will be in his early 30's.

He was a first round talent that got pushed into the second round in an incredible class for WRs. He earned playing time on team with two WRs who had 90+ catches each. Yes, he dropped a TD against NE, but I just watched the Dallas playoff game again....Adams was huge in that game. He puts in the tape time and seems committed to his trade. LOVE IT!

He was a first round talent that got pushed into the second round in an incredible class for WRs. He earned playing time on team with two WRs who had 90+ catches each. Yes, he dropped a TD against NE, but I just watched the Dallas playoff game again....Adams was huge in that game. He puts in the tape time and seems committed to his trade. LOVE IT!

There was a recent ARodgers quote about Adams that I liked, basically saying that on paper it looks like Adams only had the two big games against NE and Dallas and was quiet for the others, but looking back at film the guy was still running routes full speed all the time and getting himself open, and that he (Rodgers) regretted not getting him the ball a little bit more. No matter what it seems like Adams had a very mature approach last year, and if that holds up and carries over there's no reason not to expect a more productive year from him.

I would, however, temper expectations about what a productive year in this offense will look like. Last year Jordy had 13tds, Cobb 12 and Adams 3. I think if Adams winds up in the 5-7tds range that'll be pretty darn good for him.

it's going to be an exciting year for the packers offense. it will be interesting to see how much the ball gets spread around. we have so many weapons now that - barring any major injuries - somebody's personal stats are going to go down. i remember when rodgers would spread the ball around to a lot more receivers than he did last season. with a legitimate rushing threat in lacy and two big-time receivers in nelson and cobb, it's hard to find enough opportunities for adams, and r4 through r6.

It's possible I think the Packers could have 3 1000 yard WR this season .

Not to dredge up old stuff, but here we are talking about Adams being a rising star and I remember some questions about him when we drafted him. I think it was someone on the old site that just had a near melt-down thinking he was a big-time reach. I remember being a bit uneasy myself about the pick because he hadn't got as much publicity as some of the other WRs in the draft. By now you'd think I'd know to trust TT when it comes to WRs. Question his D-line selections all you want, but he's had a hell of a record at WR.

As stated above you can't over emphasis how big year 1 to 2 is. I expect Adams and Rodgers to do big things. The pack has a lethal 3 wide package if WR #4 can emerge holy crap watch out ! :eek:

Back