Crease Creature's CFB Top 20 and Bottom 5 (week five edition)

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What an ugly week for the top teams in the land. Just pathetic. There was one performance, however, that really stood out, and so in honor of this performance, we have a special guest taking over the #1 spot, since it didn't seem like anybody else wanted it. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you:

1. Sir Joseph Wellington Schobert, Esq. From Matt Lepay: "Probably stating the obvious, but @JoeTheShow58 put on one of the greatest defensive performances I've seen from a Badger. Big time performance." From Mike Lucas: "Saw Tom Burke dominate offenses. Saw JJ Watt dominate offenses. Never seen more dominating performance than one turned in by Joe Schobert." From Mark Tauscher: "@JoeTheShow58 One of the most dominant defensive performances by a badger defensive player since @JJWatt days in Madison..."
    Just how good was Joe? 8 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 5 QB hurries, 2 FF, 1 FR. Dude put the team on his back, and came up with an answer every time UW needed to respond. I honestly thought they should put him in at HB and let him win the game (he broke John Clay's state rushing record at Waukesha West HS). Offense crapped the bed, but for today, Joe Schobert is my #1. His 13 TFLs and 9 sacks lead the FBS through 5 games.
    <--Joe caused both turnovers at from :20-:31

Joe's feelings about all of this? "Thanks, I appreciate it! But JJ is on another planet!"
  2. TCU--you blew out a lesser opponent, but hey, be thankful. Nobody else did, at least not to such a prestigious program as Texas. Enjoy taking your shots now, and, please, kick them a little harder. Not everybody gets to hang a 50-burger on the 'horns. (last: 5)
  3. LSU--you also blew out a lesser opponent! Though E. Mich isn't quite as exciting as Texas. Usually cupcakes are enjoyed with dessert, but you've got quite the spread coming up with your division in your conference. Hope you didn't ruin your appetite. (Last: 3)
  4. Michigan State--good teams don't go down to the wire with Purdue, not this decade anyway. (last: 2)
  5. Alabama--I thought Georgia was much better than this, and maybe they are, but not with QB play like they had. This was the 'bama that we know from the end of last decade: top-notch defensive play, lean on the running game, and put your average QB in a spot to not have to make big mistakes. (Last: 10)
  6. Ohio State--I watched, and as I watched you have to come up big two plays in a row to stop Indiana from scoring, I got bummed. I was wondering if the IU coach would go for two, or for the tie. I feel like I would have gone for 2, and for the win. Why not? It's not often that he'll have a team like Ohio State on the ropes, and have the ability to deliver the knock-out blow. But, alas, 'twas not to be. (Last: 4)
  7. Clemson--got up early, but allowed a furious comeback by ND. A nice victory, but you almost pulled a "Clemson" there. (last: 12)
  8. Texas A&M--last week they went unranked, more to personal preference than anything (and as long as I do the poll alone, personal preference carries the day hof(), but you did beat Arkanschadenfreudesas last week, and beat a 'ranked' Mississippi State, and hell, you even garnered a first place vote (a sign of how awful the top teams were). So welcome back. (Last NR (real last: 16)
  9. Utah--inactive--by not even playing, you got 6 more first place votes than the week after you beat Oregon. But, by my rules, you didn't play this week, so at #9 you shall remain. Though, you are now 1 point ahead of TCU in ESPNs 'power rankings' for the top spot. (last: 9)
  10. Ole Miss--Wow, who saw that coming? (Last: 1)
  11. Northwestern--shut outs are nice, moreso when they happen to Minnesota (last: 13)
  12. Oklahoma--dispatched WVU (a team on my radar) and now have the chance to annihilate Texas in the Red River Shootout. Although I don't think UT will put up much of a fight. If Strong can't get his guys up for the Sooners, it's gonna be a long season in Austin. (last: 15)
  13. Florida--Reason why you didn't vault up like Ole Miss did is that your big win came at home. They went into Tuscaloosa to win. Still, impressive resume so far. (Last: NR)
  14. Florida State--you haven't lost, true, but you're just so damn unimpressive. (last: 11)
  15. Baylor--held TT to 35, who put 50+ on TCU last week, and sored 63. If you show me again that you can stop somebody, I'm ready to recognize that you're a legitimate contender. (Last: 17)
  16. Stanford--I didn't catch any of your game, but the final looks impressive. (Last: 19)
  17. Notre Dame--if this is your only loss, and Clemson wins out, I'd almost guarantee that the committee will give ND a serious look for a final 4 spot, not that they'd deserve it. I admire your resiliency when Clemson opened the door to let you back in the game. (Last: 8)
  18. Oklahoma State-- facing a top ten rushing defense and a 4th string QB who was also the team's leading receiver this season, yet to be down at half...that's always how these things with KState go. (Last: 16)
  19. Toledo--you beat Ball State by a bigger margin on the road than NW did at home, that's enough to keep you in and hold Iowa out. (Last: 18)
  20. USC--inactive--also keeps Iowa and UCLA out.

Newcomers: Florida
Welcome Back: Texas A&M
Dropped Out: Wisconsin :(
Help I'm Falling: UCLA, Georgia
On the Radar: Iowa, UCLA, Georgia, sigh...Michigan

The Bottom Five
124. UCLA
--losing to a team that was in the bottom five at one point (even for arbitrary reasons)... not good. (Last: 7)
125. Tennessee--you lost to Bert, who was here for non-arbitrary reasons...that's even worse. (last: NR)
126. Kansas--business as usual (last: 126)
127. Nebraska--a 13-0 lead against Illinois going into the 4th quarter...then losing 13-14... yeah, that's bad. (last: 124)
128. Minnesota--no longer receiving votes from anyone but me. Things are...ok. (last: 128)

Climbed out of the Pit: Arkansas, Missouri
Welcome to HELL! Tennessee, UCLA

Toughest poll so far this season. Appreciate any feedback, let me know what you guys think, especially anybody in the South or on the West Coast. I don't get to see much more of those games other than highlights, and those don't give me a very clear sense of how good a team actually is.

Last edited:
Blah doesn't begin to describe this UW-Neb game.

USC getting toasted by Washington was interesting to see.

Those skis that Northwestern keeps looking a little too far over? Yeah, they're careening down the side of the mountain at 60 miles an hour.

Back