COVID-19, legislation, lawsuits signal change in college sports

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
“I don’t know if it’s immediate, or five years down the road, but I’m pretty confident that something’s going to fundamentally change,” said Victoria Jackson, a sports history professor at Arizona State.

Continue reading...

I tend to disagree. As soon as their is proof that the vaccines are working as intended, and the incident rate starts dropping dramatically, I believe people will be stepping forward more than ever to get their hands on tickets to live events, where they can be shoulder to shoulder with others. We simply are not lone wolves in nature. We have a herd mentality.

To those who say it won't happen, I'd say look back at the Spanish flu, polio, and even virulent strains of flu that are now ever present, and how effective the vaccines for these have effected us. We have moved past any fears of any of them, to enjoy life. Nothing will be different with this.

It's like a friend of mine said. He hated going grocery shopping with his wife, because he'd push the cart down the aisles while she picked out what she wanted to buy. It was boring to him. About a week ago, he told me he turned to his wife at the kitchen table and said; "I can hardly wait for our vaccination. I want to go out grocery shopping again. Eat in restaurants, and go places where there are others. I'm even looking forward to the flea markets."

This is a guy that a year ago was ticked off every time his wife dragged him out of the house.

I think this is the story of most of us. We want to get back to being part of the herd, who enjoys so damned much of life. In the end, college sports will rise again, to an even greater level, because more kids will get involved in sports than in the past. They too are getting cabin fever.

Just my opinion.

This article is crap would not wipe my butt with it. Guarantee once fans are allowed back in stands they will be full. Football and basketball pretty much has always funded most of colleges sports teams as outside of them no other sport likely makes money. You will always need those need football and basketball to bring in the money to help pay for other sports. Of course this is why you say sports get cut this year because you did not have the big two funding other sports. Granted some of these sports might not come back as the schools will decide it's not worth funding a sport that is just being funded to give some kid a chance to play a sport. Though I don't think you will get profit sharing among schools and players because you start that and you can say players are no longer amature but paid professinals now and should no longer get scholarships. Other issue is if you allow profit sharing you then do force smaller schools running on a small budget to get rid of programs as they can't afford to pay the kids and run the program thus giving kids less chances to play.

There may be subtle changes, but in the long run I would be surprised if we saw "fundamental" changes. Especially with College football and basketball, the revenues from those sports are way too important to most schools. As we quote here quite often - follow the money.

This article is crap would not wipe my butt with it. Guarantee once fans are allowed back in stands they will be full. Football and basketball pretty much has always funded most of colleges sports teams as outside of them no other sport likely makes money. You will always need those need football and basketball to bring in the money to help pay for other sports. Of course this is why you say sports get cut this year because you did not have the big two funding other sports. Granted some of these sports might not come back as the schools will decide it's not worth funding a sport that is just being funded to give some kid a chance to play a sport. Though I don't think you will get profit sharing among schools and players because you start that and you can say players are no longer amature but paid professinals now and should no longer get scholarships. Other issue is if you allow profit sharing you then do force smaller schools running on a small budget to get rid of programs as they can't afford to pay the kids and run the program thus giving kids less chances to play.
Stands were not full before COVID. Many schools and conferences have struggled not just with attendance but also drops in season tickets and donations. Covid just blew the cover off of a problem that many wanted to ignore

In a sense you have profit sharing now. P5 conferences relied for years on revenue generated not only their network but also ESPN and Fox. Bowl games make millions and share it with conferences also. What’s next ?
  • Conference consolidation. 5 power conferences that will control college football.
  • P5 breaking away from NCAA. Control over TV money
  • NIL legislation to make sure anti trust laws don’t get messed with
Covid just forced the issues to the forefront. It’s not as new as this article suggests.

Back