Cory’s Corner: Jared Abbrederis has his work cut out for him

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Jared Abbrederis came to the Packers with plenty of promise last year.

Then July 30 happened.

That’s when he tore his ACL in practice, which caused the Wisconsin standout receiver to miss his first pro season.

“You just have to look to the positives, try to find positives,” Abbrederis said last year after getting informed of the bad news. “I’m just ready to get to work, get surgery, get it fixed it up and get ready for next year.”

Well, next year is here. But now it’s going to be tougher than last year. First, he never played in a game, so technically this is truly his rookie season. Second, he has to get past the injury. Since his game relies on quickness that involves cutting and stopping, the mental hurdle will be a big step.

However, the biggest thing for Abbrederis to overcome is the crowded wide receiver field. Davante Adams is already penciled in as the No. 3 receiver and Jeff Janis has really wowed so far in OTAs. Also, Ty Montgomery was drafted in the third round out of Stanford this past spring as a versatile threat that includes special teams — a role Abbrederis was expected to fill.

Add in starters Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb and the Packers have the deepest set of receivers in the league.

Unless, the Packers do the unthinkable and trade one of them for, say, an outside linebacker, Abbrederis’ back is to the wall.

Mike McCarthy has said recently that “Jeff Janis has definitely been moving forward. I thought he definitely came on last year.” That has to give Abbrederis pause, because Janis was a seventh round flier that has continually gotten better ever since he came to Green Bay.

Abbrederis had what equates to a medical redshirt last year. He sat out the entire season without a coach being able to see him play in an NFL game. It would’ve been different if he got hurt in Week 2, because at least he would’ve had some film for everyone to see.

This training camp for Abbrederis will be like going back home for Thanksgiving dinner as an adult — but being banished to the children’s table.

——————
Cory Jennerjohn is from Wisconsin and has been in sports media for over 10 years. To contact Cory e-mail him at jeobs -at- yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter: Cory Jennerjohn
——————

Continue reading...

This is definitely true. I can see Abby getting cut even if he has a solid camp. We all know TT will not cut Montgomery this year. Abby will have to beat out Janis in order to make it and be good on special teams. A tough feet the way MM is glowing about Janis.

Realistically, the only way I see Abby making it is if there is an injury. And let's hope that does not happen.

Abby seems like a smart, heady WR, and that's the kind that tends to stick in GB. But he got hurt so early last year, no one even saw him in a pre-season game so there's no reasonable way to know what to expect. He's not and never will be a physical mismatch guy so there's limited upside as it is, and he also has a concussion history. Throw in the fact that he's a fifth rounder - not a huge investment - and he could find himself on the outside looking in.

p.s. I have been a big fan of Janis' potential since last year, but "wowing at OTAs" is not a thing. That's pure hype right now. He has more big play potential than Abby, but Abby is much more polished with routes, and if you're not polished as a WR you ain't playing with Aaron. Frankly they both have limited upsides with little draft investment, it's perfectly possible that both will be on the outs.

janis has been practicing with the first team while jordy recovers from his hip surgery. i think that says something. maybe not a lot, but something.

I will say again I read nothing into who is where or what happened last year, let's get in camp and get the pads on with live work. Also want to see these guys vs other teams CB and Safeties.

Back