Combine Thread

Backthepack4ever

Reaction score
Anyone else watching the Combine. OL can be boring but im still watching. RBs are next

A few guys jumped out for me as mid/late OL picks

Really liked Thuney. He moved really nice in the field drills. Also had a good bench day

Same as Westerman and Redmon. All 3 seem to fit the TT mold of good athletes for the OL.

Whitehairs bench was very disappointing. He isn't going in the 1 IMO

I don't have whatever channel it might be on, but I'm sure I can find stuff online.

When I was at the regional combine it was pretty neat to see some of the other guys in other position groups go through their drills, see some guys have some outstanding athletic ability.

I should look and see if any of those guys made NFL rosters or not.

Anyone else watching the Combine. OL can be boring but im still watching. RBs are next

A few guys jumped out for me as mid/late OL picks

Really liked Thuney. He moved really nice in the field drills. Also had a good bench day

Same as Westerman and Redmon. All 3 seem to fit the TT mold of good athletes for the OL.

Whitehairs bench was very disappointing. He isn't going in the 1 IMO

I've taken Thuney in both of my mocks. Good to hear that he's performing well.

Time to turn the NFL Network on. I use to watch all the drills with Mayock and Primetime yapping while I was on the treadmill. Might not be a bad idea right now....I would be able to kill two birds with one stone: familiarize myself with draftees while getting in shape for the upcoming golf season. thumbsup

All the top TEs sucked at the bench press, or didn't participate. TEs will run today, that'll be interesting.

Hunter Henry had 13 reps, dismal - one more than WR/TE tweener Duarte Thomas. Nick Vannett's 17 is baaad for a guy known for his blocking. Austin Hooper and Bryce Williams had 19, in the low end. Tyler Higbee and Jerell Adams didn't participate.

Not a good start. We mostly need a receiving one, so bench press may not mean as much, other than them maybe needing a year of S&C to block anybody. RRod had just 16, and it still shows.

By comparison:

Vance McDonald: 31 reps
Jace Amaro: 28 reps
Troy Niklas: 27 reps
Eric Ebron: 24 reps
Zach Ertz: 24 reps
Tyler Eifert: 22 reps
Austin Seferian-Jenkins: 20 reps
Clive Walfords: 20 reps
Maxx Williams: 17 reps

All the top TEs sucked at the bench press, or didn't participate. TEs will run today, that'll be interesting.

Hunter Henry had 13 reps, dismal - one more than WR/TE tweener Duarte Thomas. Nick Vannett's 17 is baaad for a guy known for his blocking. Austin Hooper and Bryce Williams had 19, in the low end. Tyler Higbee and Jerell Adams didn't participate.

Not a good start. We mostly need a receiving one, so bench press may not mean as much, other than them maybe needing a year of S&C to block anybody. RRod had just 16, and it still shows.

By comparison:

Vance McDonald: 31 reps
Jace Amaro: 28 reps
Troy Niklas: 27 reps
Eric Ebron: 24 reps
Zach Ertz: 24 reps
Tyler Eifert: 22 reps
Austin Seferian-Jenkins: 20 reps
Clive Walfords: 20 reps
Maxx Williams: 17 reps

I take very little from the bench at the combine. I watch 40's.... broad jump and drills. Other then that I take it with a grain of salt. The interviews are really the key in both the SR bowl and Combine or have been in the past for GB.

The bench is an interesting exercise. It might tell you something about a guys dedication in the weight room, but I don't know what it says about a guy's ability on the field. Wisconsin Badger OL, for example, seem to consistently do poorly on the bench at the combine and then show up and play on Sundays better than the weight room warriors. I remember Joe Thomas having a so-so showing on the bench (28) and people worrying about it. He's only become arguably the best LT of his generation.

Some of the drills including the kick-slide drills tell you more. The upper body strength isn't going to help if your feet can't keep you in front of your guy. Same with TEs. While I agree this group showed poorly in the strength dept, the drills might be a better indicator. I'm still not sold on Henry in Rd 1 no matter what he shows in the drills. I like Hooper, but he's a little on the short side of ideal. I guess I'd be good with him in Rd 2.

The bench is an interesting exercise. It might tell you something about a guys dedication in the weight room, but I don't know what it says about a guy's ability on the field. Wisconsin Badger OL, for example, seem to consistently do poorly on the bench at the combine and then show up and play on Sundays better than the weight room warriors. I remember Joe Thomas having a so-so showing on the bench (28) and people worrying about it. He's only become arguably the best LT of his generation.

Some of the drills including the kick-slide drills tell you more. The upper body strength isn't going to help if your feet can't keep you in front of your guy. Same with TEs. While I agree this group showed poorly in the strength dept, the drills might be a better indicator. I'm still not sold on Henry in Rd 1 no matter what he shows in the drills. I like Hooper, but he's a little on the short side of ideal. I guess I'd be good with him in Rd 2.
I agree that the bench should not be overplayed. Nor should any other combine metrics. And good feet are more important.

But if I were a scout, under 20 reps for TE would make me go back to the tape to see if it shows on the field and/or ask around about weight room work ethic. If you want to use the guy as a blocker more than nominally.

Out of 183 TEs who made it to the NFL since 2000, Henry's 13 reps ranks in bottom five... Maybe 6th worst if you factor in this year. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... i?id=5imXt

Last edited:
Back