Chmura Speaks Out aka What The Hell Is Really Going on

just wondering out loud . . . in 2007-08,the patriots were beaten in the superbowl by the giants (by only 3 points - so close, yet still a loser).

in 2008-09, the patriots didn't even make it back to the conference championship.

in 2009-10 the patriots had a horrible 10-6 season and didn't even make the playoffs. i wonder how many patriots fans were crying to have belichick fired . . .

in 2010-11, the patriots made it back to the playoffs but got beat by the lowly jets in the divisional round. surely the pats fans were shouting to have belichick fired at that point.

in 2011-12 the pats were on a mission. they made it all the way back to the superbowl and had their chance for sweet revenge against the giants. but omg, they lost again. at this point there must have been a huge outcry from their fans to get rid of this loser bill freakin belichick.

this was followed by two more close-but-no-cigar losing seasons where they got beat in conference championship game. incredibly bill belichick somehow managed to keep his job. crazy huh?

just wondering out loud . . . in 2007-08,the patriots were beaten in the superbowl by the giants (by only 3 points - so close, yet still a loser).

in 2008-09, the patriots didn't even make it back to the conference championship.

in 2009-10 the patriots had a horrible 10-6 season and didn't even make the playoffs. i wonder how many patriots fans were crying to have belichick fired . . .

in 2010-11, the patriots made it back to the playoffs but got beat by the lowly jets in the divisional round. surely the pats fans were shouting to have belichick fired at that point.

in 2011-12 the pats were on a mission. they made it all the way back to the superbowl and had their chance for sweet revenge against the giants. but omg, they lost again. at this point there must have been a huge outcry from their fans to get rid of this loser bill freakin belichick.

this was followed by two more close-but-no-cigar losing seasons where they got beat in conference championship game. incredibly bill belichick somehow managed to keep his job. crazy huh?

Good post reality and a great perspective. I wonder if the previous 3 Super Bowl Championships under Belichick bought him some good graces? I'm not sure I agree with your wording or presumption that Packer fans are "crying" for MM to be fired but the intensity of the scrutiny sure has ramped up, and rightly so, imo. Now, I'm not a Pats fan so I can't make any concrete assumptions but I would imagine that after those years that Ou outline above, some Pats fans had to be questioning what was going on. There is nothing wrong with that nor would I label it crying. Is it crying when those approving of MM voice there opinions?

Good post reality and a great perspective. I wonder if the previous 3 Super Bowl Championships under Belichick bought him some good graces? I'm not sure I agree with your wording or presumption that Packer fans are "crying" for MM to be fired but the intensity of the scrutiny sure has ramped up, and rightly so, imo. Now, I'm not a Pats fan so I can't make any concrete assumptions but I would imagine that after those years that Ou outline above, some Pats fans had to be questioning what was going on. There is nothing wrong with that nor would I label it crying. Is it crying when those approving of MM voice there opinions?

i was just trying to provide a little perspective. lord knows i've called mike mccarthy a moron more times than i can count. never thought he was the sharpest tool in the shed.

i was just trying to provide a little perspective. lord knows i've called mike mccarthy a moron more times than i can count. never thought he was the sharpest tool in the shed.
No one is crying as you say. Simply discussing the issues without a bunch of ggg( on. Makes for a much better debate.

It is a good perspective. One that deserves respect. It sure made me step back and look at his accomplishments. He's won a lot of games and,division titles in GB. Playoff record, conference championship game records and super bowl appearances, I'm or sure what those stats are. I do know that BB has been in quite a few AFCCG and SB appearances. Again, I liked your perspective. It makes a person really think.

And that's what makes it great discussion. I have been horrible at times about MM. I will always divulge that I have never been a huge supporter of MM. I'm not gonna stand on the corner and espouse all his great values and accomplishments but I was also never one to slay him. Heck, he's basically been untouchable because of his accomplishments. I can admit how I feel about him as a coach and I can also admit that what you wrote is a good piece on perspective. It made me stop and reevaluate my current thoughts on MM. I have flip flopped over the years and I continue to have flip flop thoughts.

I do think that in the grand scheme of things, his accomplishments will earn him 4 or 5 more years to tweak his system. I also believe that the talent on the team needs upgrading as well as some of the decisions about staff, such as WR coach, need to be honestly reevaluated. We'll see what happens. This year might just be a wash because of all the injuries. Next year should tell us a lot about how this program responds to adversity.

On Mike McCarthy and the trouble with consistency

excellent article....

Some of that has to do with just plain luck, but when I think of Mike McCarthy and the Packers, I can't help but think of a quote I once heard from a wildly successful entrepreneur who left his company to pursue a new startup:
"Sometimes you have to be willing to leave something good, to achieve something great."

Matter of perspective and whether you're cool with simply winning a division, or if you as a fan want the big prize.

Because he made it to 2 SB's and 3 conference championship games over that span. In other words they went deep into the post season. Whereas MM hasn't come close to that production in the postseason.

The 08-09 season fans were bummed about after missing the playoffs with an 11-5 record. But they got that 11-5 record with Matt Cassel as their QB. What did MM do without Arod?

And he followed that up by winning his 4th title.

Last edited:
Because he made it to 2 SB's and 3 conference championship games over that span. In other words they went deep into the post season. Whereas MM hasn't come close to that production in the postseason...

my post was in response to the comment about 1 winner and 31 losers. it doesn't matter that the pats got one or two games farther. they were still losers for 7 years in a row.

my post was in response to the comment about 1 winner and 31 losers. it doesn't matter that the pats got one or two games farther. they were still losers for 7 years in a row.

That was probably mine, and I'd say that bracketing those years (actually, nine in a row) with a 3-out-of-4 mini-dynasty and "we're back" victory last year (maybe the two once-in-a-lifetime SB losses helped) makes things easier to bear for Patriot fans. Heck, the mini-dynasty was this century, and plenty of Packer fans are riding NFL championships from before I was born, and that's a long time.

Back