Chicago World Champion Anthony Rizzo and Milwaukee Starting Pitcher Chase Anderson Team Up Together

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
APPLETON – USA TODAY NETWORK – Wisconsin today announced the return of Cancer Knows No Borders, a fundraising and public awareness campaign in support of funding cancer research and helping families battle the disease. This campaign unites rival baseball players Anthony Rizzo, Chicago World Champion, and Chase Anderson, Milwaukee Starting Pitcher, to break down geographical barriers to share stories of friends, neighbors and family members that are surviving cancer, and to empower communities to aide in the search for a cure. Corporate partners Pick ‘n Save and Aurora Health Care have stepped up to the plate, to help drive awareness and fundraising support for Cancer Knows No Borders.

Cancer Knows No Borders is working across state lines to drive resources toward top cancer research and treatment centers through the Aurora Health Care Foundation in Wisconsin, and the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation in Illinois. These organizations are committed to keeping hope at the forefront of the fight against cancer by providing state of the art resources and treatment to patients and their families.

“Most of us have been impacted by cancer – whether it is a close friend, a family member, or our own selves facing that dreaded diagnosis, we as a community can be just as powerful as that disease,” said Pamela Henson, Regional President of USA TODAY NETWORK – Wisconsin, and breast cancer survivor. “Our teams remain committed to leveraging the power of our network to bridge the divide between person to person, community to community, and cancer to a cure. We are proud to stand with our partners to bring our readers stories of empowerment and possibility, and we encourage them to join us in this incredible mission.”

“When I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, I knew I had to stay strong for everyone around me,” said Anthony Rizzo, Chicago World Champion. “Our family started the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation so we could lend support to other families on their own difficult cancer journeys. The Cancer Knows No Borders initiative aligns well with what we are trying to accomplish, and the dollars raised help fuel our work. Donations allow us to do the behind-the-scenes work so that families affected by cancer can focus on what’s important during treatment - staying strong and having hope.”

“Like so many of us, cancer has struck my family several times,” said Chase Anderson, Milwaukee Starting Pitcher. “The loss of those closest to us, or the fear that the disease may strike again is a feeling that never goes away. That is why I am proud to partner with this inspired and talented team of people committed to fighting cancer in in Wisconsin and Illinois. I urge the community to join us to win big against our common opponent – cancer.”

As part of the Cancer Knows No Borders campaign, Pick ‘n Save will be collecting donations to fight cancer now through August 1 at select Wisconsin grocery stores – Pick ‘n Save, Copps and Metro Market. Point of sale donations will also be collected at Mariano’s in Illinois from August 6 through 12. Pick ‘n Save customers will have an opportunity to support this initiative by adding a $1.00 donation at checkout.

“Pick ‘n Save is proud to once again to be a sponsor of the Cancer Knows No Borders program,” said James J. Hyland, Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs for Pick ‘n Save, Inc. “We are excited to have the chance to impact cancer research in the two states we operate in, Wisconsin and Illinois. Through our efforts and our customers’ generosity, we will help to provide another step forward in the drive to eliminate cancer.”

The campaign features Aurora Cancer Care patients from Wisconsin and beneficiaries of the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation in Illinois and their inspirational stories. Aurora Cancer Care treats one in every four cancer patients in Wisconsin. Focused on innovative treatment options, Aurora provides extensive cancer services and treatments across the region, including the recently-launched Precision Medicine Clinic at Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center in Milwaukee.

“Everyone knows someone impacted by cancer,” said James Weese, MD, FACS, vice president of Aurora Cancer Care. “As the largest provider of cancer care services in Wisconsin, programs like Cancer Knows No Borders can go a long way in bringing hope to patients and their families. Through the collaborative efforts of this initiative, we’re able to advance research and treatment options to help people across the state. We’re thrilled to be a part of the campaign.”

Cancer is the second leading cause of death in America, striking people of all backgrounds— men and women, boys and girls. The American Cancer Society estimates that nearly 1.7 million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year alone. That estimate includes 32,990 people in Wisconsin and 64,720 people in Illinois; a combined total of nearly 100,000 cases across both states.

Cancer Knows No Borders will run through November 9. To learn more, or to make a donation, visit www.cancerknowsnoborders.com.

Back