Cheese Curds, 4/12: No word on John Kuhn; Russell Wilson endorses something ridiculous

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
GettyImages-152729179.0.jpg

An old Packer, a few young Green Bay players, and a former Wisconsin quarterback are all in the news today for a variety of reasons.

As the Green Bay Packers prepare to start voluntary workouts next Monday, there is a surprising omission on the team's roster. A certain fullback whose name is often chanted at Lambeau Field remains unsigned at this point, despite two straight Pro Bowl seasons and a nine-year tenure with the team.

While John Kuhn is still a free agent, Jayrone Elliott is on the other end of the spectrum - he's a young, ascending player who remains under contract and is hoping for a bigger role in his third year.

Meanwhile, in the Pacific Northwest, the Seattle Seahawks' quarterback has moved on from his praising of one ridiculous consumer product to another. In fact, this new endorsement seems so absurd that it might actually put Recovery Water to shame.

Check out all that and more in today's curds.

Learning never stops for Jayrone Elliott | Packers.com
The third-year linebacker did an externship at Arizona State this year but will look to use his new business knowledge later on in life, as he looks to build on the breakout he had at the beginning of last season.

Packers, Patriots take different approaches to filling out rosters | JSOnline.com
While both of them construct the starting lineups primarily through the draft, the Patriots have taken to free agency to lock down the back half of their roster. In fact, they signed ten free agents this season - six unrestricted, one restricted, and three street free agents.

John Kuhn's future with Green Bay Packers remains uncertain - ESPN
At the Scouting Combine, Mike McCarthy's comments sounded like it was practically a sure thing that Kuhn would be back in 2016. However, his agent says that the Packers have not told him for sure yet whether they plan to bring him back this year.

One of the NFL Draft's best athletes is a German who just learned about football on YouTube - SBNation.com
Yes, it's Moritz Boehringer. SB Nation's Steven Godfrey got to speak to everyone's newest draft crush about how he got started playing football and his training for the draft.

Green Bay Packers' Mike McCarthy intrigued by Ryan Williams' potential - ESPN
Williams has been a bit of an afterthought among Packers fans since his signing on January 5th, but he had very limited snaps in college and he tore his ACL as a senior and he could surprise in camp.

Josh Gordon tested positive for marijuana last month - NFL.com
Oops. Actually, I don't think "oops" is nearly a strong enough word for this mistake by Gordon, who was suspended for the entire 2015 season due to the league's substance abuse program.

Russell Wilson is endorsing some kind of educational football bread - Niners Nation
If you thought the water with nanobubbles was the dumbest thing that Russell Wilson could endorse...I'm sorry to say you were wrong.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I think Kuhn coming back is entirely up to how well Rip does in camp and pre season. Rip steps up and makes that position his no Kuhn. Rip falls flat on his face and we'll see Kuhn back for a 1 year vet minimum.

Eat the Ball? lol, now that's an interesting marketing gimmick. Though I don't hold it against Wilson. If I was that popular I'd do whatever endorsements I could.. Free money baby.. And who really cares what products a pro athlete endorses anyway. We all know they're usually crap.

I think Kuhn coming back is entirely up to how well Rip does in camp and pre season. Rip steps up and makes that position his no Kuhn. Rip falls flat on his face and we'll see Kuhn back for a 1 year vet minimum.
At some point they have to go younger at FB anyway might as well be now. Have a feeling they go back to more 3/4 set spread this year which limits playing time for Kuhn.

Have said that for a while. Kuhn is 34 years old. Rip will be given all of OTA and TC to see if he can handle the job which I think he can. If for some reason he can't the Packers can sign Kuhn late in TC as I don't think outside of the Packers there will be any one else interested in him. He's a fan favorite so many people wear blinders thinking oh he's great he needs to be back. I saw some people say bring him back Rip is not ready yet. I can't see the Packers carrying 2 FB's again. Plus Rip is looking already to be a ST beast. Kuhn is a fan favorite but at some point you have to say goodbye to those guys you can't keep them forever.

Have said that for a while. Kuhn is 34 years old. Rip will be given all of OTA and TC to see if he can handle the job which I think he can. If for some reason he can't the Packers can sign Kuhn late in TC as I don't think outside of the Packers there will be any one else interested in him. He's a fan favorite so many people wear blinders thinking oh he's great he needs to be back. I saw some people say bring him back Rip is not ready yet. I can't see the Packers carrying 2 FB's again. Plus Rip is looking already to be a ST beast. Kuhn is a fan favorite but at some point you have to say goodbye to those guys you can't keep them forever.

I'm with you. I too suspect Ted and company think Kuhn will still be available later on this summer if Rip can't handle the job.

Back