Cheese curds, 2/3: Packers guard T.J. Lang needs 2 shoulder surgeries

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9083519.0.jpg

Packers starting right guard T.J. Lang played through multiple bad shoulder injuries during the 2015 season.

The two-week lead-up to Super Bowl 50 seems to stretch on forever, but only four days separate us from the NFL's biggest stage. Though the Green Bay Packers didn't make it that far, Acme Packing Company has plenty of coverage in the works for Sunday.

In the interim, here are the biggest Green Bay headlines for Wednesday.

Shoulder surgery finally a reality for Packers guard T.J. Lang | ESPN

T.J. Lang remains one of the league's best guards, giving the Packers a steady presence in pass protection as well as the run game. However, he had to play through not one, but two bad shoulders in 2015, both of which require surgery. Lang has surgery scheduled for the right shoulder this week, with the second procedure planned for later on. Green Bay should thank its lucky stars that their talented right guard only missed one game this past season.

Julius Peppers says hell play next year even if Packers cut him | Sun Times National

Sure doesn't seem like the future Hall of Famer plans to hang up the cleats before the 2016 season. The only question left concerns the Packers' interest, though given Peppers' impressive performance this past year, it seems more likely than not he returns.

Former Packers star Kramer still paving way | Green Bay Press-Gazette

While it seems so matter of fact to Packers fans, Jerry Kramer never expected to remain in the public light so long after his football career ended. He figured he would "drift off into the mist of time. I just assumed as a lineman I wouldn't be remembered all that much." The continued push to get Kramer into the Pro Football Hall of Fame seems to indicate otherwise.

Photos: Super Bowl XXXI - Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots | San Jose Mercury News

No, the Packers aren't participating in this weekend's Super Bowl, but one of the Bay Area's biggest newspapers looks back at the photos from the team's mid-nineties championship. Mike Holmgren looks unbelievably young.

[BCOLOR=#FFC20E]Jason B. Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Company. He also serves as an NFL writer for SB Nation and Sports on Earth and is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.
Follow @by_JBH[/BCOLOR]​

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I love Lang but two shoulder surgeries in one year? The man is wearing down. I am not sure I resign him.
Tretter as a replacement?
Of course we should also be drafting a guard this year as well.

Will reserve judgement on re-signing Lang until after 2016. Maybe he comes through healthy.

Tretter is not a replacement, I don't think. More of a finesse player. Nice back-up type guy but not sure I want him starting at OG.

They need to add an OG in the draft this year. Both Sitton and Lang are FA's after the season and both are getting a little older.

I love Lang but two shoulder surgeries in one year? The man is wearing down. I am not sure I resign him.
Tretter as a replacement?
Of course we should also be drafting a guard this year as well.
That would make sense, BUT.....TT doesn't draft Guards. He signs undrafted college Tackles and moves them to guard. We have Lane Taylor, Josh Walker and the practice squad guy Matt Rotheram. One of those will be promoted or a late round tackle (Tyler Marz?) will move in. Tretter is actually too valuable as C/LT back up to burn him up at RG.

Walker was a disaster at OT but should be better at OG. I also like Rotherham's potential at OG, he was a nice pickup. OT talent is a much bigger need at this point, so that's where the resources should go.

Still, hard not to think that 2014 was the peak year for this OL, similar to 2003 for the last really good group we had.

Back