Changing Coordinators

TW

Reaction score
It seems to be the "in thing." Throw the offensive and defensive coordinators under the bus, and keep the head coach. Seattle and Green Bay are the poster boys for how it's done this year. It's fairly common.

What I always question is why the head coach, who brought these guys in, is given a pass? Obviously he knew the talent level these guys had, and has lived with it, until it reached a breaking point, and he's usually forced to let them go. I wonder why they can't see how bad these guys are, much earlier?

I think any coach who hires, and keeps an assistant, who is not doing his job, is responsible for the results. Yet, they get passes. McCarthy stays in Green Bay but his staff is gutted because it stinks. Yet, does he really make changes, or just bring in more buddies so the "good old boy" mentality doesn't change one bit.

I have a friend who's the #2 man at a major corporation. We'll call it ABC Corp. The #1 man at ABC actually worked for my friend, who's #2, at XYZ Corp, until he was offered the CEO job at ABC. When my friend was sent packing by XYZ Corp, he had a golden parachute, and was then offered the #2 job at ABC. There's another guy, at the #2 level, who is about to leave ABC to take over another company, we'll call JKL. When my friend, and the #1 guy at ABC get shown the door, they'll leave with another golden parachute, and be hired by the third guy, who's getting the CEO job at JKL.

I think you get the picture. It's real, it's happening, and will continue to happen. It not only happens in the Corporate world, it happens in the NFL. It's the reason we keep seeing the same old coaches come back as retreads, time after time, surfacing in different positions all over the NFL.

So, when they do let these guys go, it's not the death knell for their careers, it just means they're going to set up somewhere else, in a new zip code, and it's business as usual.

No matter how much things change, they pretty much stay the same. Just the names and faces change, and if you don't do it from top down, it's going to be more of the same.

It still amazes that it had taken this long for McCarthy to can Capers. He stuck with him year in and year out. Injuries were the prime excuse. What changed this year? Did he get forced to relieve Capers or did he actually, finally, come to the decision on his own?

I'm sure these head coaches want to keep some semblance of stability within their coaching ranks and I'm sure they also want to allow their coaches to develop to some extent, so I can see them hanging with a coach for a couple years tonsee if they pan out. Maybe thst was the case with Edgar? Coaches have always been recycled and retread and they always will. For some reason, the NFL owners, the system, whatever, they like experience, even if it's a "failed" experience.

I actually understand dumping coordinators when the HC is on the other side of the ball. For example, I get MM dumping Capers, because when he was hired MM pretty much gave him total control of the defense. It was Capers show and he flopped. I'm also surprised it took this long.

The ones that annoy me somewhat are the guys like Bennett. Everyone knows this offense is MM's deal. Dumping the guy who is OC in name only is a cop out. Now, maybe there was some friction or other problem. Say you hire a guy to be OC but after a couple of years you realize you don't mesh with the guy. Letting a guy go in those circumstances makes some sense. I suspect that was not the case here since Edgar has been with the team for many years and I'm sure he and MM had a solid relationship.

Same thing in Seattle. Dumping the OC, I understand. Dumping the DC, not so much. That defense is Pete Carroll's thing he needs to own the problems.

It seems to be the "in thing." Throw the offensive and defensive coordinators under the bus, and keep the head coach. Seattle and Green Bay are the poster boys for how it's done this year. It's fairly common.

What I always question is why the head coach, who brought these guys in, is given a pass? Obviously he knew the talent level these guys had, and has lived with it, until it reached a breaking point, and he's usually forced to let them go. I wonder why they can't see how bad these guys are, much earlier?

I think any coach who hires, and keeps an assistant, who is not doing his job, is responsible for the results. Yet, they get passes. McCarthy stays in Green Bay but his staff is gutted because it stinks. Yet, does he really make changes, or just bring in more buddies so the "good old boy" mentality doesn't change one bit.

I have a friend who's the #2 man at a major corporation. We'll call it ABC Corp. The #1 man at ABC actually worked for my friend, who's #2, at XYZ Corp, until he was offered the CEO job at ABC. When my friend was sent packing by XYZ Corp, he had a golden parachute, and was then offered the #2 job at ABC. There's another guy, at the #2 level, who is about to leave ABC to take over another company, we'll call JKL. When my friend, and the #1 guy at ABC get shown the door, they'll leave with another golden parachute, and be hired by the third guy, who's getting the CEO job at JKL.

I think you get the picture. It's real, it's happening, and will continue to happen. It not only happens in the Corporate world, it happens in the NFL. It's the reason we keep seeing the same old coaches come back as retreads, time after time, surfacing in different positions all over the NFL.

So, when they do let these guys go, it's not the death knell for their careers, it just means they're going to set up somewhere else, in a new zip code, and it's business as usual.

No matter how much things change, they pretty much stay the same. Just the names and faces change, and if you don't do it from top down, it's going to be more of the same.

I know nothing about these coaches. But firing so many smells of desperation. These guys are long-time McCarthyites. How the $%$# did they all become incompetent underneath the chief's nose? Isn't the guy at top the problem?

This is MM prove it year in red letters. I am not in the camp of wanting him gone yesterday. If the Packers have some better luck with player injuries next year, they sign some key players, they have some younger guys make a jump, Rodgers stays healthy, and the D improves enough to hold up their end of the bargain, then I think you'll see years more like 2014 and 2011, rather than up and down years like 2015 and 2016, save for the run the table to save the season. FCC(

Back