CC's weekly CFB poll!

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The first Playoff Committee ranking is out, and while there is plenty of football left to play, the Committee has given us plenty to talk about. In particular, the path before the Badgers could easily end up with them on the outside looking in. Will a 13-0 record with a B1G Championship be enough to hurdle the 1-loss teams in front of them? We'll have to find out.

As things stand, here are my rankings for this week! The polls for previous weeks are here and here.

1. Alabama - inactive
  2. Georgia - Unless one team just gets rolled, I don't see how there isn't serious consideration to put both these teams in, especially if the loser is Georgia. Their resume is pretty good. (Bama having an FCS team on their schedule in mid-November is a real turn off for me. (last: 2)
  3. Ohio State - I should have asked Mark ahead of time for permission to use expletives. This pains me to type these words. Of course, all things considered, Ohio State is a team that the Committee members would fall over themselves to put in, and they've certainly got them in position to do so. Oh, and by the way, your fans are pathetic. You can't rush the field in October when you're a 7-point favorite at home. Hosers. (last: 6)
  4. Wisconsin - I don't know about you guys, but Michael Dieter looks awful good with a football in his hands. Also, I am seriously concerned that the offense has come to rely this heavily on a true freshman RB. The o-line is one more season away from obtaining the standards usually incumbent on that position group at UW-Madison. I'm glad Indiana is as banged up (if more so) as we are. (last: 5)
  5. Penn State - they should have won, the safety in me is not happy with how that final drive went. Granted, I believe that the Badgers might match up a little better with the Buckeyes, but this loss complicates things somewhat. (last: 3)
  6. Notre Dame - Impressive win over a surprising contender for the ACC. I think the Committee has them overrated right now, but if they finish out their season with just the one loss to Georgia, they'll earn that spot. (last: 9)
  7. TCU - I have a good friend who is a ISU grad (he's the godfather of one of my children), and he's also a huge Cubs fan (so I may not have the best taste in friends). Between the Cubs WS win last year and the last month of Cyclone football he texted me: "What the heck is going on? I am seriously concerned that the end of the world is approaching." TCU wasn't able to do anything offensively, zilch. Same of ISU after halftime. These were some good defenses on display. (last: 4)
  8. Miami - once the 'Canes got going, this on was never in doubt, though it did take until the 2nd quarter for them to score. What happened to UNC? (last: 8)
  9. Clemson - a snoozer over Georgia Tech, the Tigers' last real test of the season comes next week when they hit the road to go play at NC State, which is a must win for Clemson, as they're going to need that ACC championship game to keep their playoff spot. That loss to Syracuse looms large now. (last: 7)
  10. Washington - tied after the first quarter, the floodgates opened and UCLA was buried until late in the game where they managed to claw out a few TDs and make the score a little more respectable. The Huskies are now a team that is probably going to regret scheduling Rutgers and Montana instead of just about anybody else, as their SOS going forward took another huge hit. (last: 10)
  11. Oklahoma State - a classic 'no-defense-allowed' BigXII game, it was 23-3 Cowboys at one point, then before you knew it, it was 30-24, and then another 35 points were scored in the 4th quarter. Bedlam looms, however, and look for a similar type of game. The Sooners don't appear to have a defense either, and that's usually been their ace in the hole in this series. Both teams need to win to stay alive, and the winner of this game will probably earn a rematch with TCU in the title. (last: 11)
  12. Oklahoma - ctrl-c, crtl-v the above, though I think more pressure is on the Sooners. The 4-way tie atop the Big XII conference is something to behold. (last: 12)
  13. Virginia Tech - There are a lot of big showdowns next week! VT dropped a Duke on their home field to set up a winner-takes-the-inside-track for the ACC Coastal division game with Miami next week (Clemson-NCState are playing for a share of the Atlantic division (Clemson falls two games behind NC State if they lose)). (last: 13)
  14. USC - this is the part where I stop caring, and would have moved up Auburn had they played. But they didn't, so here we are. The Pac-12 is a mess. (last: NR)
  15. Iowa State - early season hiccups to Iowa and Texas don't seem to be holding them back, as they've taken down two of the top teams in the BigXII and are tied for first. Remember, the BigXII plays a round-robin and then sends the top two teams to a championship game. Iowa State could find themselves in it. (last: NR)
  16. NC State - there aren't any teams outside my list that deserve to be ahead of the Wolfpack, so we're only dropping them one spot. A showdown with Clemson looms, and if NC State takes the victory, they'd have a two game lead on Clemson for the division with three games to play, and those three games would be @BC, @WF, and vs. UNC. Like I said before, this is a must-win for Clemson. (last: 15)
  17. Auburn - inactive
  18. Stanford - maybe? I don't know, they currently have a half-game lead over Washington for the Pac-12 North. (last: NR)
Newcomers: Iowa State, Stanford
Welcome Back: USC
Dropped out: Washington State (what a plummet), South Florida (I am not putting UCF in here until possibly the last week of the season), Michigan State (hard to survive for three weeks when the first one bites you in the ass)
On the Bubble: UCF, the third place team in the SEC

The Depths of the Inferno (nothing terribly exciting or egregious this week)
129. Kansas-congrats on your 20 points, which is 1 more than your last three weeks combined.
130. Baylor-I'd said loudly all off season that this team should have been shut down. It'd probably be less embarrassing than what you've put on the field all year.

Your poll points out something I've believed from the start. The playoff needs to be an eight-team format. That would allow for inclusion of teams that recover from an early season loss. By the end of the season, there's usually two to four teams that have really put it together after a slow start, and an early loss. Leaving them out of the challenge as to who is "best" is kind of like saying they don't belong in the hunt, but often they do.

Great evaluations as usual! I know quite a few of us appreciate the effort it takes to do this work.

I'm impressed that I got last week's done on Monday.

I think next week the playoff picture for my 16 team bracket will start to materialize.

Reactions: TW
Back