Burnett signs with Steelers

dannobanano

Reaction score
3 year deal averaging $4.8M/yr.

Packers must not have wanted him back that badly.

Soft market for Safeties right now.

Or at all. Very reasonable money.

I'm not surprised. Packers traditionally avoid giving out third contracts, and Burnett was not a good candidate. Rodgers is about to get one, they offered one to TJ Lang last year, but really who else is there?

Or at all. Very reasonable money.

I'm not surprised. Packers traditionally avoid giving out third contracts, and Burnett was not a good candidate. Rodgers is about to get one, they offered one to TJ Lang last year, but really who else is there?

Report the team wanted to sign Cobb to a ext partly to lower his cap number but was not interested. He would have then been on third contract

I'm not going to go into the issue as to injuries, nor how good some of the players still are, that the Packers are allowing to walk. Instead, I'm going to go into something a little different. Let's call it "re-building, around Rodgers." That's what I see the Packers doing. They still have Thompson as the scapegoat for the past, by saying they're letting guys go that should have already be gone, and clearing space for new players who are the future. It's really true, in their perspective.

Rodgers has 4 or 5 more solid years ahead of him, if he can stay healthy, and seriously wants to play. It's enough time to restructure the team around him, and make one more solid run at a Lombardi Trophy. If they can do it, the legacy of both McCarthy and Gutekunst is solidified. Neither will leave the program in the future as labeled anything less than successful.

For 2018 and 2019, expect slow growth, and in 2020, watch for the Packers to once again be a force to be reckoned with. The new defense will have two years of growth, and the offense will be once again structured to put up the points needed to win games like they were early on in the McCarthy era.

Anyhow, that's what I see happening. How much fuel some of our experienced players like Burnett and Nelson had left in the tank doesn't matter. They'll be too old to be part of the new powerhouse in 2020, and spending money on salaries for them now won't make the team better in 2020.

To put it bluntly, they don't care how many of the players leave now or next year. They won't be here for the next run anyhow.

TW, please tell me that doesn't mean you think McNugget will be here that long. Egads...! I've had more than enough of that guy!

Maybe Gutekunst found my resume in TT's old stuff and is just making sure there's enough cap space to bring me in. I'd come out of retirement for that.

He's waiting on Ted for the go ahead....

Reactions: TW
TW, please tell me that doesn't mean you think McNugget will be here that long. Egads...! I've had more than enough of that guy!

I hope not. But, I just don't know. He could end up their scapegoat in a year or two.

Back