Brewers do enough to tame Tigers

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/

This was the kind of game that has been so elusive for the Milwaukee Brewers during their disheartening start to the 2015 season.

Pitchers reaching back for something extra with the game on the line, in particular a bullpen unaccustomed to protecting one-run leads. Just enough clutch hitting to make that pitching count. Taking advantage of breaks.

The result Monday night was a 3-2 victory by the Brewers over the Detroit Tigers, one of the best teams in the American League, at Comerica Park. Yes, this was the same team that produced back-to-back clunkers in New York to drop a series to the Mets after a promising opener.

"Guys were just battling," starting pitcher Mike Fiers said. "It was good to see that.

"That's the intensity we need every game. When we're playing like that, it's tough to beat us. We've just got to put it all together."

Putting it all together has been a major issue for the Brewers, which is why they are 11 games under .500 and on their second manager this season. Playing games like this one is what management expected from the outset, not the collective pratfall that buried the team in last place.

"Consistency in a baseball season is the mark of a good team," said manager Craig Counsell after the Brewers evened their record under him at 7-7. "You can't fool people over 162 games. You've got to play well every night and give yourself a chance every night to be a good team.

"That's the simple truth about how good baseball teams win 90 games. We've said, 'What kind of team do we want to be?' You see a game like tonight and we feel like we can be that team."

Carlos Gomez shook off what could have been a terrible beaning the day before to produce two huge hits. He led off the game with a home run off lefty Kyle Lobstein and snapped a 2-2 tie in the seventh with a two-run single. Aramis Ramirez delivered the Brewers' other run with a fourth-inning homer.

Asked about returning to the lineup and contributing right away, Gomez said, "It's not about me. We lose two games in a row and come here to Detroit to face a tough team. To get that 'W' is big.

"This is how we're supposed to play. I feel really good but it's about that 'W.' The bullpen really came in strong."

After Fiers turned in 52/3 gritty innings (six hits, two runs, one walk, three strikeouts), relievers Jeremy Jeffress, Jonathan Broxton and Francisco Rodriguez took turns making big pitches. It started when Jeffress took over with runners on second and third and two down in the sixth.

Pitching during a brief but intense rainstorm, Jeffress reared back and struck out Rajai Davis on a 98-mph fastball, his best of the season.

"We knew we had to get the guys out," Jeffress said. "In tight ball games, you go with your best stuff. We know we got it in us. I thought they were going to stop (the game), to be honest with you."

Broxton, who had scuffled much of the season (7.24 ERA coming in) in a setup role, perhaps was inspired by Jeffress because he, too, reached back for something extra when he needed it. After benefiting from a close double play that was not overturned by Detroit's replay challenge, he struck out J.D. Martinez, also reaching a season-best 98 mph with his heater.

"I had to make some pitches," Broxton said. "I had to bear down and get that final out. I felt good out there tonight. I just tried to leave it all out there on that one pitch."

That left it to Rodriguez, who converted his eighth save in as many tries by getting pinch-hitter Yoenis Cespedes to ground into a game-ending double play after Nick Castellanos' one-out single.

"J.J. and 'Brox' did a tremendous job," Rodriguez said. "They are the reason why we won. They did all the hard work. They were tremendous."

Counsell said he thought Jeffress and Broxton had "their best stuff of the year," and on this night they needed it.

"They both made big pitches when it really mattered," he added. "It's challenging with the middle of their lineup. Every time Miguel Cabrera comes up, you hold your breath. All those guys did a good job."

Back