Barry Alvarez stumps for expansion of College Football Playoff

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Few people in the world of college football understand the in’s and out’s of the College Football Playoff better than Wisconsin Badgers athletic director Barry Alvarez.

After four seasons of the 4-team playoff format, three of which included Alvarez being on the committee, it appears the Badgers AD would like to see some change.

He is advocating for a change to six teams making the playoffs according to CBS Sports.

“I would now be open to six,” Alvarez told CBS Sports. “Two byes [for the top two teams]. … Maybe give one spot to the … [Group of Five champion].”

“There are probably six teams that can win,” Alvarez said. “Some of those schools — that have years like that — should have a chance. They could fit it in.”

The Badgers have been up close and personal with the so-called “Group of Five champion,” having played the Western Michigan Broncos following their 13-0 season in 2016. UW beat the Broncos in the Cotton Bowl to end their undefeated season, but it wasn’t a cake-walk, with the Badgers winning 24-16.

“I’m thinking more open-minded to six, personally,” he added. “I never thought we’d want to.”

It seems as if Alvarez realizes by personal experience that limiting the teams to just four leaves out quality teams that could win the championship on the field if given the chance.

Last season, Wisconsin was on the doorstep of a College Football Playoff berth. However, a loss to Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game thwarted that chance.

Alvarez was not involved on the committee last season, but his team has been involved in the College Football Playoff’s New Year’s Six bowl games for the last two seasons.

Both of those appearances ended up in wins. On top of the win over Western Michigan in 2017, the Badgers also beat Miami in its home stadium for the Orange Bowl this past year too.

College Football Playoff executive director Bill Hancock has been on record over and over again that the format works as is and change isn’t necessary.

However, few people in the world of college football have more clout or sway than Alvarez does. His longevity around the game as a coach and now as athletic director puts him in a rare group these days.

Will Alvarez going on record sway others?

There has been momentum towards changing up the playoff format for the past few seasons, but it has largely come from a group that has been on the outside looking in at the committee and power structure of college football.

It may be that now that one power broker has broken ranks others will follow.

Continue reading...

I'd prefer seeing them go to an 8 team format. One from each of the power 5, and you can then use the other three to cover all those teams who are truly deserving to be added. As far as format, seed them on a 1 to 8 basis, from rankings, and go from there. Having 6 or 8 does not increase the number of games any team plays, but enhances the chance of making the playoffs, and winning, for teams that are snubbed simply because their conference's credentials aren't as lofty as the power 5.

I'd prefer seeing them go to an 8 team format. One from each of the power 5, and you can then use the other three to cover all those teams who are truly deserving to be added. As far as format, seed them on a 1 to 8 basis, from rankings, and go from there. Having 6 or 8 does not increase the number of games any team plays, but enhances the chance of making the playoffs, and winning, for teams that are snubbed simply because their conference's credentials aren't as lofty as the power 5.

I think 6 is fair you have the conf champ from each conf and you can save the other spot going to the top FBS team if they would meet a certain win total and if none do than that spot can go to the top ranked non-conference winner as a WC.

I humbly submit my own playoff model, which you guys have been privy to for a few years now.

I've been tinkering a bit but you'll have to wait til December to find out what the changes are.

I tend to lean to 6. The question is it ads one week to the schedule and that is what university presidents have pushed back on. And may impact bowl games, remember follow the money. One game is not going to be windfall from a media rights position and ratings have not been earth shattering. its going to be some time for it to change based on the current contract

I mention 8 because of the money they can add to their coffers from two extra games. The NCAA sees dollar signs above all else, and I can see the networks pushing for a "day of games," 4 long, in sequence, to create a wall of football for viewers.

Back