Badgers vs. Illini Reaction: Where is the energy for UW?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin Badgers may have come away 24-10 victors over the Illinois Fighting Illini on Saturday, but to say it was a worrisome game would be an understatement for most. So, what do we take away from the game and what should Badgers fans really be focusing on? Join our Andy Coppens as he takes a look at the three big takeaways from Wisconsin’s 8-0 start to the 2017 season.

Source

Continue reading...

I worry about our QB. He doesn't seem to be improving. If anything, he has gone backwards. I've heard nothing about Coan, so I have no idea if he's capable of even playing at this level, or at this time. This uncertainty in Hornibrook, whom I personally thought would arrive this year as a threat, makes this entire season precarious.

We talk about playing for a national championship, but I am beginning to wonder if we can actually go unbeaten until we reach the Big 10 championship game. Then, can we actually beat either Penn State or Ohio State, let alone beat other top contenders for the title.

We just don't have that offensive push/threat to cut the field down in big chunks with a decent passing game, and teams realize it. Good ones, who can score lots of points against good defenses, are going to put us in the trick if we don't see improved QB play.

I don't necessarily miss Joel Stave, but Hornibrook sure makes you look back at times.

Hornibrook is doing fine. He has a tendency to throw the INT but he has also performed quite well more often than not. He is far better than Stave ever was statistically. 65% completions this year compared to Staves best at 62%. Stave for his career at UW had 37 INTs to 48 TDs. Hornibrook has 15 INTs and 22 TDs. Stave's best QB Rating was 126. Hornibrook is at 159 this year. I'd say there are only 2 QBs in the B1G playing better than Hornibrook right now. McSorely and Barrett.

Hornibrook or Stave - kind of a horse apiece. Both have warts. As I've said before, I have no serious complaints about Hornibrook, but I suspect his ceiling is not very high.

Some of this certainly rests on Chrysts shoulders. To me, the offense is somewhat predictable but part of that is that they simply don't seem to have the tools to get big plays. Teams like Illinois stack the box with their safeties and force them into long drives with multiple 3rd downs. Pull that against the elite teams in the conference (PSU & OSU) and they make you pay. With the Badgers, the odds simply say you'll fail at some point to convert a 3rd down and the drive will stall. They don't have enough big-play receivers, and Hornibrook does not seem to have much feel for the deep ball - also not enough arm strength to pull it off with any consistency.

Statistically Horni is fine, but seemingly a lot of that is padded with short throws. The college game is somewhat deceiving, and we see it every year. Pure pro-style pocket passers can look good and have good stats, but their teams don't necessarily prosper. O-lines are not as good and passing game schemes are not as sophisticated. Even the better ones rarely read the defense and the field like a seasoned pro. The ones that keep drives alive are often the guys who get in their first read or two, then can take off and get positive yardage with their legs or make throws on the move. Horni and Stave both can/could do neither and the offense is limited as a result.

Well said 57packer. That pretty much covers every question I have about our QB situation. It's hard to put it all on Hornibrook when it involves Chryst's mind set as to how he wants his QBs to play. I keep thinking about how good Russell Wilson would have been as our QB on this team. I believe we'd definitely be the favorite for a national championship. He offered all the things you mentioned.

Winning ugly against lesser teams seems to be the characteristic of this team. Hopefully they can win ugly against good teams too! However, I too believe OSU and Penn are better teams, and that Michigan will be a very tough game. Still, I have to agree with what Chryst said, "All that matters is the moment". We remain perfect, and Illinois was an away game played after losing Taylor and Ramesh and without safety D'Cota Dixon. Nice 52 yard FG and TD by Deiter, lol!

Back