Badgers get commitment No. 9 for 2019 class

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
This isn’t your average Wisconsin Badgers football recruiting cycle to say the least. While the class usually takes shape over the summer prior to the senior year, UW has had some really early success in the 2019 recruiting cycle. It’s a pattern that continued on Friday afternoon as 3-star athlete Marcus Graham committed to the Badgers. He gave his verbal pledge after a two-day visit...

Source

Continue reading...

I don't know anything about him, but based on past history, of Badger coaching, he comes in as an athlete who can be taught to play a different position. A lot of kids are saddled with playing QB, when their natural talents are so immense that teams need them at the position, in HS. He appears to be another like that.

I think you nailed it. The damage caused by Anderson. Two more years of his having been at the helm and we'd be nearly as bad as Illinois and Indiana when it comes to recruiting.

From 9 commits down to 7. And now we see the downside of high level recruiting - poaching. Two commitments already lost. Bryson Shaw, the safety decommited about 2 weeks ago - headed for tOSU. Today, Nolan Groulx decommits, but no word on where he's headed - SEC or ACC program I assume. We'll see if this class remains special going forward. It's hard to make that move up the recruiting ladder sometimes. The helmet schools come snooping after your commits. These kids are sometimes easily swayed. Hopefully they hold on to Mertz.

Time to do some poaching of our own, to fill needs. If a kid doesn't want to go to Wisconsin, that's fine. They should choose a place where they feel most comfortable.

I do know one thing. I would check out the reason Shaw switched, because I have a hunch it goes beyond the program, to something more substantial off the field. Ohio State has been moving into dangerous territory with some of their recruiting methods from what one of my sources told me in the past.

I'm not saying there's anything specifically wrong with this change of heart, but I would look at it very carefully, including into family life, etc. Just a suggestion, nothing more.

I can tell you a story of how some things work. Many years ago, a college program got a QB to go to their school over the 15 others who offered him scholarships, by actually finding that his high school girlfriend was eligible for this fantastic music scholarship that covered her entire time at the school, if she chose to accept it. Of course, she accepted it, and he signed on the dotted line, and became their QB.

The interesting part is that just a few weeks after school started in the fall, they broke up. A college QB with good looks had his choice of all the girls he wanted. But, that's just one story, and I know it's true. I know more.

I don't doubt your story for a minute. You hear all kinds of stuff being done to get kids to commit somewhere. I think it's just that it doesn't happen as often to UW because they in the past have not recruited as many really high level recruits that make other schools dive deep into their bag of tricks to get them to flip.

That said, in each of these cases, it may be nothing more than a change of heart. In the case of Shaw, he was a lacrosse player who blew up late and was starting to get "more and better" offers late. Also, let's face it, tOSU carries plenty of star power with recruits and these kids are easily impressed. With Groulx, it may have been nothing more than him figuring out that he's getting offers from southern schools and can stay closer to home to play football.

Back