Badgers defense takes down Purdue in low-scoring affair

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Jump Around at Camp Randall was born 20 years ago almost to the day. The Badgers needed four quarters back in 1998 to beat Purdue, and the same was the case today as Wisconsin scratched and clawed its way to a 17-9 victory. While it wasn’t pretty, Wisconsin proved it could get a win even with an off day. It marked the 12th straight win for the Badgers in this series and continues as the...

Source

Continue reading...

The Badgers defense did play well at times. I wish I could say all the time, but there were points in the game where they looked totally out of sync. But, with coaching on the sideline, they got past these moments, and did very well. Purdue is not a patsy.

I'm at a loss to describe Hornibrook's play. He can look so good on one play, and on the next, he looks like he's never played QB, and has Vaseline on his hand and the ball, when throwing it. But, for the most part, he is young, and learning, so you have to understand it. Yet, if the Badgers do make the playoffs at the end of the year, they are definitely going to need more consistency from him to move forward. You aren't going to beat up on some of the great teams out there, like Clemson, without being able to control the ball.

They are completely un-Wisconsin-like for games and stretches of games.

I sat through that rainy mess on Saturday and it was painful. We were clearly the better team. We put up over 500 yards of offense. We shot ourselves in the foot on at least 6-8 occasions with turnovers and penalties that killed drives or gave Purdue field position. Considering that, I thought the defense did remarkably well.

The blocked punt was just a hot mess. How did they not realize that motioning a guy out of the protector spot would allow a smart opposing coach to overload a side and cause problems. Bad coaching and a failure to recognize what was happening while it was happening.

Horni is what he is. Not a good athlete, not a strong arm, slow-twitch guy, who sometimes just makes bad decisions. I think he will get better, but I don't think his ceiling is very high. Kind of a dependable, average, Power-5 type QB who can manage a game if he needs to and is not pressed to be "the man", because he's not. I don't have a specific gripe against him other than he's just sort of an average guy. We could certainly do worse! Hopefully one day, we'll do better!

Reactions: TW
Excellent assessment 57!

Hornibrook isn't the issue. First off other than Cephus no one was breaking open worth spit, beyond that when you put your QB in 3rd and forever they look like poo. ( We are not built for that type of game)

When you put up over 500 yards of offense there is zero reason to bitch about the QB play.... none. PC needs to learn to stop calling the same 3 plays inside the 5 because everyone knows what's coming.

Frankly Purdue got A. Lucky on 3-4 occasions and B. Our offensive coaching has been meh the last 2 games outside of the 3rd qtr vs Nebraska.

Added note UW is a little more banged up then they are letting on.

Back