Badger FB Spring Scrimmage Report

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Good Read

MADISON – With next Friday’s spring game being televised on the Big Ten Network, it’s a fair bet head coach Paul Chryst won’t be giving too many things away to the prying eyes watching. That thought process means Wisconsin’s third scrimmage Friday would be the last real measuring stick until fall camp.
If that’s the case, Alex Hornibrook left a solid lasting impression.
The redshirt sophomore quarterback was on point through all phases of practice. He went 8-for-10 with six touchdowns (one drop) in red-zone drills, 8-for-12 in modified team drills and 10-for-16, unofficially, in the scrimmage. He threw a pair of touchdown passes to tight end Kyle Penniston, the latter of which the sophomore caught at the one-yard line and reached over the goal line.
The backup quarterbacks also ended the week on a high note. True freshman Jack Coan got the majority of second-team reps early in practice, going 5-for-8, and hit tight end Luke Benzschawel on an end-zone crossing route. The redshirt freshman has had a really good camp and used his 6-6 frame to stretch for the pass over redshirt freshman linebacker Noah Burks to cap an 11-play drive.
Redshirt freshman Kare Lyles was hardly used early in the scrimmage but finished with a flurry by going 7-for-8 and leading three touchdown drives, including hitting receiver Adam Krumholz for a 17-yard red-zone touchdown.
Depth Chart Notes
Redshirt freshman Isaiahh Loudermilk continues to get more opportunities to grow within Wisconsin’s defense, as he took reps with the first team defensive line with fellow end Alec James. Olive Sagapolu worked at nose.
Senior cornerback Derrick Tindal only lasted a couple of plays into practice when he hurt his leg on a pass breakup. He was replaced by Lubern Figaro during the scrimmage itself. The injury did not appear to be serious.
Brett Connors did some work at left tackle next to Micah Kapoi with the first-team offensive line late in practice. Earlier in practice the Badgers worked junior Michael Deiter at left guard and redshirt freshman Tyler Biadasz at center.
Wisconsin started Leon Jacobs and Zach Baun at outside linebackers although Garret Dooley rotated in often. Jacobs finished with two tackles for loss.
Redshirt freshman Dontye Carriere-Williams worked in the nickel, Joe Ferguson was on the field in certain first-team packages and senior Jack Cichy got some work at inside linebacker.
Kickers Sighting
Wisconsin doesn’t do many live kicking reps when they are stuck inside the McClain Center, so getting a chance to scrimmage outside was a good opportunity to do special teams reps. It also proved beneficial for kicking Rafael Gaglianone to get some competitive work in.
Heathy but rusty considering he’s been sidelined since last September with a back injury, Gaglianone went 5-for-6 on his field goals and hit from 35, 37, 37, 37 and 42. His only miss was his second kick from 42 yards.
“He feels good, therefore I feel good that way with his health,” Chryst said. “A good kicker is huge for your team. Last year he was performing at a high level and he’s got to come back and have that and still find things to continue to get better. A good Raf is really good for this team.”
Sophomore Zach Hintze – Gaglianone’s backup – missed a 49-yard field goal wide left in his only attempt.
Changing the Calendar
On Friday morning, the N.C.A.A. voted to approve the creation of an early signing period for high school prospects to sign their National Letter of Intent in December. This new signing period will coincide with the current 72-hour Junior College signing period. Prospects will still be able to sign a Letter of Intent in the current February signing period.
In January, the Division-1 Football Oversight Committee gave the approval for the December signing period to go to a vote, though they did not approve a proposed June signing window.
Although the N.C.A.A. has approved the December signing period, the Conference Commissioners Association, who manages the National Letter of Intent program, still needs to approve the measure.
“I think the early signing’s good, and I was in favor of the June as well,” Chryst said. “If you have three signing periods, I think it’s when a kid’s ready, his commitment can be real. I think the offers on our part that we give out, those have to be real. If he’s committed and you’ve offered, then that should be signable. So I like that it puts validity to the two terms, offer and commitment. December, I think it’s good, but it’s only a month.”
Prospects will also now be able to take official visits during their junior year. The visit must occur between April and June, while the prospect is not visiting the school for a camp or clinic.
Chryst said the Badgers never come close to using their allotted 56 official visits, something that will benefit
“I think it’s really good for the prospective student athletes,” Chryst said. “This spring we’ve had a number of kids come up, and that’s on their dime … We think it will help us.”
Extra Points: Wisconsin’s defense didn’t allow a first down in two series with the offense starting inside its own 5-yard line … redshirt sophomore Bradrick Shaw returned from a two-practice absence, although he was limited in his carries in the scrimmage … outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel dropped interception with a clear path to the end zone in front of him … Something no UW player could get away with in the fall, Kapoi drew a flag from three officials for a combative penalty in practice. In mocking fashion, Ferguson picked up a flag, dangled it in the air and threw it at him. Adding insult to injury, the senior broke up a third-down pass on the next play … Wisconsin returns for its 12th practice of spring on Tuesday morning.

Wooden's statement is 100% true, no matter who you are, or how good you are. Nobody on a team is above the team.

Back