Are we happy with the RB situation?

I'm an old Eddie George fan. Not because he was the greatest runner of all-time, but because of the way he handled getting yardage. He's in the HOF, and his career average is 3.6, and he only had 2 seasons of his 9 where he averaged 4.1 in both years, for the best of his career. Yet, over that time, he was effective, and had 7 of 9 years over 1,000 yards.

Not saying our RBs are in his class, just saying that these guys are getting yardage when it's needed most, and can effect a game. Even the fact that Jones busted loose for a TD to win an OT game had an effect on a pass doing the same thing, against the Browns. What's happened often effects what happens now. I'll take two guys like we have, and build off of it, knowing that we're at least in a good place, not in dire need. We might also have a good #3 in Mays. We just don't know yet. He could even move up in the pecking order.

i think aaron jones is the closest thing we have to a "feature back". i love his visiom and his quick decisive style of running. i'm just hoping that he turns out to be durable enough to be one.

williams - imho - just isn't quick enough. maybe he's a good short yardage guy. i'm not sold on him yet.

i think monty still deserves a shot at the position when he returns. he averaged over 6 yards a carry when we had nobody else to turn to. but just like jones, durability may be a major issue.

i think aaron jones is the closest thing we have to a "feature back". i love his visiom and his quick decisive style of running. i'm just hoping that he turns out to be durable enough to be one.

williams - imho - just isn't quick enough. maybe he's a good short yardage guy. i'm not sold on him yet.

i think monty still deserves a shot at the position when he returns. he averaged over 6 yards a carry when we had nobody else to turn to. but just like jones, durability may be a major issue.

You look at it that 6 yards is inflated due to him playing a bad Bears D. You watch him against other teams he just does not break tackles or have break away speed.

Jones is the guy I use who has speed and is more elusive. Williams is a more punisher runner who can break tackles and get the tough yards.

Ask me at the end of next season. I like what I see from Jones and Williams, but they got the benefit of a lot of touches in some run heavy offenses that didn't have AR changing the play, and they have really only played in a few games.

In short, they got the opportunity to get going during a game. You don't always get that with #12 at QB.

Ask me at the end of next season. I like what I see from Jones and Williams, but they got the benefit of a lot of touches in some run heavy offenses that didn't have AR changing the play, and they have really only played in a few games.

In short, they got the opportunity to get going during a game. You don't always get that with #12 at QB.

I agree. They need to be judged based on our total offense being employed. Even in the case of Eddie George, a lot of what he did as an RB was due to McNair being the Titans QB. McNair could pass or run. Not the greatest (in my opinion), but a gamer who often pulled the ball down, and ran for needed yardage, when he couldn't pass.

I wonder how the Packers will work them into next year's lineup. It's going to be interesting.

Agree that time will tell but appears to be a good start. I do believe we're better off now at RB than at the same time last year. Unfortunately I can't say that about the rest of the team.

Im excited to see what they do in the new offense the new HC and OC put into place for next season whistling))​

Reactions: TW
Back