An Early Feeling on Gutey's Style

Terranimal

Reaction score
More and more the feeling I'm getting he's more like a cross between Wolf and Belechick.

Remembering Favre's SB win year, Wolf mixed in older vets for a year or two and filled in holes to go along with the young core group. Players like TE Keith Jackson, DE Sean Jones, FS Eugene Robinson.

Now enter CB Williams, DL Wilkerson, TE Graham, and we're not done.

Letting Burnett and Nelson leave might hurt fan wise and will be a transition for team but is close to moves like Coach B makes with the Pats....get vets with out breaking the bank and letting players go that either cost too much or on decline.

By letting Burnett go, the market for Safeties has been set. There are still a bunch of vets out there and depending what the new DC wants out them, might be one to bring in.

Another thing we have found out is that Pass Rush means more then Coverage. U can have Deion Sander's back there but if no pass rush, an average QB could still pick him apart as no Corner can cover forever. Believe most read the link on this.

Bottom line is Gutey is using all tools available to try to improve this team and put his stamp on it. The draft should be an interesting and wild ride this year also!

It was a different feel having the Pack out there in the first days of Free Agency. Seemed like we never heard of TT until after the first week at least. Paid premium on one addition, got good value on the other (one year prove it deal). I would like to know which of the recent draft picks were 'Gute guys'. Obviously Randall was not. Did he have more influence last year with King and Jones?

Anyway, we will see the proof in the pudding with 12 picks this year. It is actually a good opportunity to remake the bottom half of the roster to his own liking. We'll know a lot more about Gute when May rolls around.

I agree that this is clearly a change, but I think we know more next year at this time.

First we get to see how he handles the draft and the kind of players he looks for. Does he take more risk? Does he trade up more than down?

Next, we find out how he maneuvers in FA with a bunch more cash to work with. A lot of contracts are likely to come off the books next spring at this time. With CM3, Cobb, Bulaga, HHCD, and Wilkerson likely off the books they will have $50-60mil to work with next spring depending on ARs deal and how much the CAP goes up. I think we'll have a better idea of just how he operates when he's got a little more room to work.

I don't think he's done anything grand or particularly controversial so far. Cut some dead wood, signed a few older vets on the decline to short term deals. More or less what I wanted TT to do a bit more of between March and June. IMO the most controversial move was trading Randall for Kizer. I understand both the logic behind trading Randall and the risk in doing so. I don't quite understand the logic behind trading him specifically for Kizer, though, and specifically well before the draft, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

With 12 picks this year there's an opportunity to really set the team on a new course the way TT did with that 2006 draft, I hope Gutey does well. And I also hope, as others have pointed out, that he's more active with the roster between September and December - that's really where TT completely fell off the map in recent years, to the team's detriment.

I don't have an issue with that style per se... However when you have an HC that is so rigid in his system it makes getting vets problematic as he will not change to use what he has to max benefit as BB does.

I'm encouraged by the willingness to make moves. But it will take several seasons to see what Gute has... Right now I think we see a GM who knows the Pack has a so/so roster and needs a rebuild. vets on short contracts buys him time to think and plan and see what he can draft...

I'm not crazy about some of these moves.... But, at this point he is just trying to stabilize the team after what TT left him.

More and more the feeling I'm getting he's more like a cross between Wolf and Belechick.

Remembering Favre's SB win year, Wolf mixed in older vets for a year or two and filled in holes to go along with the young core group. Players like TE Keith Jackson, DE Sean Jones, FS Eugene Robinson.

Now enter CB Williams, DL Wilkerson, TE Graham, and we're not done.

Letting Burnett and Nelson leave might hurt fan wise and will be a transition for team but is close to moves like Coach B makes with the Pats....get vets with out breaking the bank and letting players go that either cost too much or on decline.

By letting Burnett go, the market for Safeties has been set. There are still a bunch of vets out there and depending what the new DC wants out them, might be one to bring in.

Another thing we have found out is that Pass Rush means more then Coverage. U can have Deion Sander's back there but if no pass rush, an average QB could still pick him apart as no Corner can cover forever. Believe most read the link on this.

Bottom line is Gutey is using all tools available to try to improve this team and put his stamp on it. The draft should be an interesting and wild ride this year also!

You forgot Don Beebe, Desmond Howard, and Andre "Bad Moon" Rison.

The year they won the Super Bowl Wolf signed Jackson, Robinson, Howard, Beebe, and Rison.

While Gute may not exactly be another Ron Wolf (yet sneaky: ), I certainly think he has been the antithesis of Ted Thompson.

I'm gonna update this a bit now that i'm on spring break and can think br):D

Taking all these moves into consideration, and who the moves involve... I see one of two possibilities on opposite ends of the spectrum:

1) Gutey doesn't really have a clear direction, and so is letting everyone else tell him what to do. Instead of being the guy who is setting the direction of the team, he is letting MM and others influence him too much.. hence the Kizer/Randall trade which makes no sense for GB.. especially since MM hasn't developed any QB really.. He might have had some influence on Arod.. But I doubt it was very much...

2) Gutey knows exactly what he wants to do, but needs a few seasons to get rid of MM and start remaking the team. hence the signing of over the hill older guys on short contracts. He needs to field a semi-competitive team, and wait to see what Arod will end up costing GB. Then he can move on and rebuild.

I'm hoping it's option #2... If it's option #1, uggg, that would suck....

I'm not at all certain Gutekunst is calling all the shots on this year's free agency, and eventually, the draft. I have this feeling that there might be more McCarthy involved in some of these decisions than we think. As an example, getting players back who were gone for a year or more. It's like rescinding a mistake made by Thompson?

Just guessing there. It's interesting so far.

My thinking is he's bringing back his guys and any hc would have input am sure, but ultimately it's Gutey's call and his job to do.

My thinking is he's bringing back his guys and any hc would have input am sure, but ultimately it's Gutey's call and his job to do.

It's going to start playing out on the field in just a few months. It does look like a slap in the face for what was being done with Thompson.

If guys like Tramon start playing like real winners, we're going to be looking at the Thompson era as being a total waste of several careers from talented players.

Back