Agree or Not?

Terranimal

Reaction score
Our modern day training camp practices and keeping starters out of pre season games has me wondering......

Gone are the 2 a day practices, we practice inside when wet, snow/ cold, or hot. Defense is tackling dummies instead of players. Yet despite all of the measures, seems we still end up with more then our share of injuries by mid/ late season. Another bothersome (to me) is the slow start to get the Offense and Defense in sync at start of the season.

Reasoning of all this protection for players is understandable.

But on the other hand it seems to that while injuries are a part of the game, there were less when players had physical contact in practices. Two other benefits was the team was ready and in sync out of gate for the first game and because of physical contact, players were tougher and better condition.

This is my thoughts......What are yours? Agree or not?

I don't think that is it at all. These guys are bigger, faster and stronger than they were 30 years ago. In the '70s offensive linemen average 255 lbs. In the 80's they averaged 272. In 2011 they averaged 310. The game has changed, the players have changed and the injury reporting rules have also changed.

Well a lot of it has to do with the CBA limiting how much you can practice as the players hate too. Also teams figure this is one of our star players we are paying him 10+ million a year he really does not need the work so why risk him getting hurt to mess up our season and have to pay him that while on IR.

Our modern day training camp practices and keeping starters out of pre season games has me wondering......

Gone are the 2 a day practices, we practice inside when wet, snow/ cold, or hot. Defense is tackling dummies instead of players. Yet despite all of the measures, seems we still end up with more then our share of injuries by mid/ late season. Another bothersome (to me) is the slow start to get the Offense and Defense in sync at start of the season.

Reasoning of all this protection for players is understandable.

But on the other hand it seems to that while injuries are a part of the game, there were less when players had physical contact in practices. Two other benefits was the team was ready and in sync out of gate for the first game and because of physical contact, players were tougher and better condition.

This is my thoughts......What are yours? Agree or not?

Of course there are positives and negatives. The injury rate in the NFL is not going down at all ...so the "prevent injuries" argument is rubbish. Example: Jordy Nelson pre season last year.

The live tackle and two a day slow down at all levels has hurt fundamentals and conditioning which leads to lazy tackling which leads too more injuries. Just spend some time watching pre season this weekend look at the arm tackling and amount of guys who drop their head and dive into a pile.

Sometimes you can over think issues and I think FB has done that. tc(sb(

Fundamentals, like Mark indicated. You can't teach them if you can't have contact practices. At least you can control contact practices, and teach technique. When you can't teach technique, under fire, it ends up with problems when they hit the field. They just plain aren't fundamentally sound players.

I hear coaches screaming about "arm tackles," but if you look at it for what it is, they don't teach proper tackling anymore. They just hope it was done at the high school level, and a little more in college.

Training camp used to be to get guys in football shape, now they are in shape all year long. Hell, I think some are in too good of shape, and work on their bodies more than being good football players.

Back