A look at the rookie free agents on offense

M

Mark Eckel

By BOB McGINN

Here is a look at the rookie free agents on offense for the Green Bay Packers. The team has yet to announce the players. In each case, players must pass a physical examination before signing a contract.

An unlimited number of rookies also have been invited by the Packers to try out during their three-day rookie minicamp that begins Friday. Those players probably will be competing for a couple berths on the 90-man roster.

JACOB ALSADEK, G, Arizona

Basics: From San Diego (Torrey Pines High School). Redshirted in 2013. Played in 48 of 52 games from 2014-’17, starting 46 at RG. Played in a run-oriented offense last season. Underwent Tommy John surgery in high school to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow. Missed time at Arizona with a concussion. Signing bonus of $2,000. Age 23.

Measurables: 6-7, 316, 5.48. Vertical jump of 24 inches, broad jump of 8-5, just 18 reps on the bench press and a score of 32 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Arms were 33 ½ inches, hands were 10 1/8.

Alsadek: “My agent said the Ravens and the Chargers were talking to him. My agent said, ‘Congratulations, you’re a Packer now.’ I said, ‘All right, sure.’ That whole process is so stressful. You’re sitting there all day watching that draft. When you finally get a call it’s such a rush. I was on the couch with my parents and my girlfriend. To see them so proud of me is something I’ll always cherish.” … “I’d like to say (he’s) physical. That’s kind of the way I try to play.” … “I’m going in thinking I’ve got to work as hard as I can to prove myself to the club. I’ve had a good career there (at Arizona) and I’m ready to carry it over. I’m used to being an underdog. I hope for the best. I don’t want to say anything and jinx it.”

AFC scout: “I have him in the late rounds. He’s an average athlete but he is tough. He’s the kind of guy who plays. His coach down there said, ‘The way I can sum the guy up is, he’s a barroom brawler.’ I hadn’t heard that term since the 1970s.”

NFC scout: “He played very erect. Not a bad athlete. Very raw. He’s a B-level free agent.”

NFC scout: “Rare size and marginal play speed. Marginal strength and power to sustain and move bodies in the run game. Struggles to mirror in pass pro.”

TIM BOYLE, QB, Eastern Kentucky

Basics: From Middlefield, Conn. (Xavier H.S.) Played at Connecticut from 2013-’15. Started four of five games as a freshman, three of nine as a sophomore and just the finale as a junior. Completed 133 of 275 passes (48.4%) for 1,237 yards, one touchdown and 13 interceptions (NFL passer rating of 42.6) for UConn teams that finished 11-26. Sat out 2016 after transferring to Eastern Kentucky. In 2017, he started all 11 games. Completed 201 of 327 (61.5%) for 2,134, 11 TDs and 13 interceptions (75.2 rating) for a team that finished 4-7. For his collegiate career, he completed 55.5% and posted a 60.3 rating. Has had two foot surgeries. Age 23.

Measurables: 6-3 ½, 230, 4.78. Tested well with a vertical jump of 35 ½, broad jump of 9-9, 3-cone of 7.04 and 16 reps on the bench. Wonderlic of 20. Arms were 33 5/8, hands were 9 ¾.

Boyle: “When you look at the stats it’s a little underwhelming. But I have a lot of confidence in myself as a player. I know where to go with the football. I know how to read defenses. Obviously, a long way to go. There aren’t a whole lot of instances where I don’t really know what’s going on with the defense. It’s unfortunate the numbers I had, but that’s in the past. I have a brand-new opportunity with a great team.” … “During my three-year stint (at UConn) I kind of bounced around from being the No. 1 quarterback to 2 to 3. Really wasn’t any consistency with the offense. I had three different offensive coordinators. All three years I was learning a new offense. Just kind of wanted a fresh start so I made the decision to transfer.” … “We transitioned a little more to the pro style (in 2017). Under center, taking some play-action shots. (At UConn) we had spread offenses with no huddle and one year we huddled up a little bit. I feel comfortable both in gun and under center.” … “The Raiders and the Browns called. Midway through the seventh (round) I had a pretty good idea that I was going to the Packers. I was content. No other offers really changed my mind at that point. I took a top-30 visit to Green Bay. I met with the quarterbacks coach (Frank Cignetti), a lot of scouts, a lot of medical staff. They were very welcoming.” … “All the history with Green Bay, especially in the quarterback room with probably the best quarterback in the NFL who I’m going to be learning from … just love to have the opportunity.”

AFC scout: “He’s got all the tools you want. He’s a thick, big-bodied guy. He’s athletic and has a really strong arm. His accuracy is marginal. His touchdown-interception ratio wasn’t very good. He’s definitely worth developing. Good signing.”

NFC scout: “You love the size. He’s a good developmental guy, that’s for sure. He’s got the tools. Good arm talent. Throws it easy.”

AFC scout: “He’s just a big arm. He’s got more interceptions than touchdowns.”

AUSTIN DAVIS, C, Duke

Basics: From Mansfield, Texas (Mansfield H.S.). Redshirted in 2013, played in seven games in ’14 and was a backup guard in ’15, getting in six games. Started all 25 games at center in 2016-’17. Voted the Blue Devils’ top offensive lineman the past two seasons. Has never had a major injury. In April, he earned a master’s degree in liberal studies. Signing bonus of $6,000. Age 22.

Measurables: 6-4, 305, 5.27. Performed well in the vertical jump (30 ½) and broad jump (8-8). Bench-pressed 25 times, Wonderlic of 31. Short arms (31 ¾), small hands (9 1/8).

Davis: “I played with Lucas (Patrick, a third-year Packers guard) for about three years. It’s a good thing I’ll have a mentor, a guy that’s one of my best friends. That was just another advantage of being a Green Bay Packer.” … “I had a few other places I could have gone. At the end of the day it was an opportunity you couldn’t pass up to represent arguably one of the most famous organizations in sports and a team that’s historically known for being honest and having equal opportunities, especially for undrafted free agents.” … “I’m more of a smart player who’s physical and quick and gives a lot of effort. I’m never going to be afraid of any physicality. Actually, I love hitting and all that stuff. Just making sure I’m one of the more athletic guys out there. That’s how I’ve always played. Being the quicker guy who’s going to use his technique and his physicality.” … “I’ve played all across the offensive line but I really thrived playing at center.” … “I think my chances are good, especially because I’m part of one of the best organizations.” … “I’d love to become a football coach. I love the game too much to give it up. I don’t see myself working 9 to 5. Football has been my life. It’s the only thing I ever want to do.”

NFC scout: “Not a bad athlete. Just strength deficient. Needs to get stronger. He just gets overpowered. Smart.”

AFC scout: “He popped up on pro day. He tested really well. He’s got good size. Center-guard.”

NFC scout: “Try-hard interior player with smarts and just enough physical traits to potentially compete if he can stay upright, engaged or in any position to contain movement.”

DAMON GIBSON, TE, Minnesota State-Moorhead

Basics: From Beardsley, Minn. (Clinton-Grace H.S.), which is located adjacent to the Continental Divide a few miles from the South Dakota border. Played nine-man football in high school. Played wide receiver at NCAA Division II Moorhead, backing up in 2014 before starting three seasons. Finished with 191 receptions for 3,112 yards (16.3) and 26 TDs. Led Division II in receiving yards (1,459) in 2016 when he caught 90 passes and scored 17 TDs. Missed three games as a senior with a high ankle sprain. Underwent shoulder surgery in November. Signing bonus of $4,000. Age 22.

Measurables: 6-3 ½, 245, 4.72. Weighed 228 in March 2017. Vertical jump of 37 ½, broad jump of 9-5, 18 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 23. Arms were a long 33 ½, hands were 9 5/8.

Gibson: “The first time I was in a three-point stance was the East-West Game (in January). That was the first time I put my hand in the dirt.” … “I think I’d be a good playmaker. I just think my effort and everything is kind of different from a lot of other guys. I think I have pretty good hands. That’s what I’ve heard from a lot of different scouts. (They said) great hands, great ball skills.” … “Beardsley has 222 (residents). Right on the hump of the map. Between North Dakota and South Dakota. Oh, Lord, I had 32 or so in my graduating class. I got a pretty tiny scholarship from Moorhead.” … “I had a couple (NFL) teams asking about me but Green Bay was the first and it seemed like they showed the most interest.” … “We were a four-wideout team 95% of the time. We never went under center. It was pass heavy.”

NFC scout: “At the East-West he was the best athlete. He’s just not a blocker. Good hands. OK speed. Pretty competitive, likes to play the game. He doesn’t have any starting traits but he’s a solid guy. Undersized athlete. Move guy, a receiving tight end.”

AFC scout: “Good pass catcher. Little bit of a one-speed guy. Definitely worth the conversion (to tight end).”

AFC scout: “Blue collar and farm-raised. Self-starter with an edge to his game.”

NFC scout: “He has a long-limbed build. He plays to his size and strength.
Tracks the ball well. He has good body control and can adjust on the ball.”

ALEX LIGHT, T-G, Richmond

Basics: From Salem, Va. (Salem H.S.). Redshirted in 2013, backed up in ‘14 before starting at RT in ’15, at LT in ’16 and at LT and LG in ’17. Seven of his 38 starts came at LG. No major injuries. Had a DUI arrest. Signing bonus of $3,000. Age 22.

Measurables: 6-5, 310, 5.55. Vertical jump of 29 ½, broad jump of 9-0, 26 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 18. Arms were 33 ¼, hands were an enormous 11 ¼.

Light: “It was Green Bay and the New York Giants. They both called around late fifth, early sixth round to offer me a free-agent deal. I heard nothing but great things there (Green Bay). Obviously, Tom Evans (a free-agent guard from Richmond who was in the Packers’ training camp last summer) was there. He told me what it was about. I loved everything he was talking about.” … “I try to be a reliable, tough player. I stick my head into everything and go to work every single day.” … “I was talking to Coach (James) Campen. He was telling me I could be a right tackle or right guard … I think I’m a better guard. I just feel more natural at the position.” … “I’ve been working at center this off-season. I’ve done it in practice but not in a game. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get some reps at center during OTA’s and training camp. I believe (in his chances) just because of the versatility and my size and my length. Just got to out there and prove it now.” … “I love to go after it. I love to compete.” … “I’ve just been blessed to have big hands. Every time I shook a scout’s hand they were like, ‘Wow. That’s the biggest hand I shook in a while.’”

NFC scout: “He was the best lineman at the Gridiron all-star game. Probably best suited inside. Pretty good feet, base and balance. Doesn’t have a lot of power in the run game yet. Plays a little high. Struggles to anchor at times. But he’s tough. Has some nasty to him. Has versatility. We had one draftable grade on him.”

AFC scout: “Kind of a stiff athlete. He’s a mauler kind of guy. We had him as a priority free agent.”

NFC scout: “Thick, tough, strong, line of scrimmage player. He has heavy feet without true length.”

AFC scout: “Loves the game. He is all ball. Leader and team captain.”

KYLE MEADOWS, T-G, Kentucky

Basics: From West Chester, Ohio (Lakota West H.S.). Redshirted in 2013, started one game in ’14 and started at RT from 2015-’17. Never suffered a major injury at Kentucky. Age 23.

Measurables: 6-5, 308, 5.48. Vertical jump of 27, broad jump of 8-5, no bench press and Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 32 7/8, hands were 10.

Meadows: “I think of myself as a tactical, athletic tackle. A bunch of things go into my head before I even try to start a play. Is it going to be a speed rush? A bull rush? A straight up-field rush? A rip inside? I think about my opponent and try to find ways to beat that move they mainly like to use.” … “I was a swing tackle from left to right. I swapped based on the defense or wherever my coach needed me.” … “I have been hearing word they want to put me at guard. It’s going to be weird. I’m not going to lie to you. I’m ready and excited for the new experience because I’ve never played guard before. I’m excited to learn and play whatever position the coaches need me to play.” … “I would like to think my chances are pretty good. The coach (Campen) called me saying they didn’t draft a tackle and I was the first call as far as a tackle or O-line-wise.”

NFC scout: “Flashes athletic ability but no consistency or power. If he gets beat early it’s going to be a long game. Lacks upper body strength. Will have trouble matching up on an edge and not explosive enough to consider inside. Always wants to know why. Needs hard coaching.”

NFC scout: “Best chance is at guard. He has adequate size and some functional mobility to mirror in pass pro or get to block targets and wall off in the run game. Soft hands, light anchor.”

KEVIN RADER, TE, Youngstown

Basics: From Pittsburgh (Pine-Richland H.S.). Recruited as a 205-pound tight end. Redshirted in 2013, then played five games as a reserve DE in ’14. The arrival of coach Bo Pelini in ’15 marked Rader’s return to TE. Started two of 11 games in ’15, 13 of 16 games in ’16 for the FCS national runners-up and all 11 games in ’17. Finished with 41 receptions for 601 yards (14.7) and seven TDs. No major injuries. Age 23.

Measurables: 6-4, 250, 4.93. Vertical jump of 34, broad jump of 9-4, just 17 reps on the bench and Wonderlic of 19. Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9 5/8. Impressive 3-cone (7.07).

Rader: “The Packers were at my pro day. They were in the circle of teams that talked to me the whole time. It was between Arizona, Tennessee, New England and Green Bay. I had about four options. Talking to my agent and looking at roster positions and everything, and me being a dual-threat tight end with blocking, the best fit in our opinion was Green Bay.” … “Everyone that I’ve talked to has me as a ‘Y’ (conventional) tight end. More of an in-line blocker at the point of attack play-side. In college … I blocked in-line, I was at wing, they put me at fullback, they flexed me out as a receiver. I’m a pretty versatile guy. That’s one of the things I bring to the table that other guys don’t. Just picking up offenses and the scheme, being able to move wherever a team needs me.” … “I definitely test better than what I did on that day (March 13 pro day in Youngstown’s indoor facility). I was very disappointed. I trained in Florida for 2 ½ months. Trust me. I didn’t run numbers like that.” … “I think it all comes down to work ethic and what you’re willing to put into it. You’re basically competing against grown men. You’re basically a freshman all over again on a different team.”

AFC scout: “Interesting guy because he’s a blocker first. His testing numbers weren’t good. But if you actually watch the pro day he’s got a little bit of quickness and he caught the ball well.”

AFC scout: “He’s an in-line tight end but not a throwaway as a pass catcher. Too many bad drops (in 2016). Tough blocker.”

NFC scout: “Converted defensive end. Plays kind of like a defensive end. Very unrefined. Needs a lot of polish to make him functional as a receiver. Probably has to make it as a (special) teamer. Tight in the hips. Struggles to get in and out of his breaks. Competitive in all phases. He has size to work with. He ran (bleep) 4.9 so he’s probably out of it.”

The post A look at the rookie free agents on offense appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

The Radar kid might have a solid shot just because he's willing and hopefully able to block. They really don't have a blocking TE on the roster right now. I'm sure one of the guards will make the PS, not sure about the roster. Taylor and Madison are probably locks and McCray probably makes it because he's versatile. After that they may have one more spot for one of - Amachia, Patrick, or one of these UDFA's.

Back