57packer - "I want a Bronco defense" draft

57packer

Reaction score
OK, kinda threw this one together for fun. I'm taking the philosophy on this one that the offense is pretty good but needs help on the OL. It might be fun to win with defense for a change. We are close but need a couple more pieces.

There are a couple of nice TE's available in FA and my assumptions include the Packers signing a TE and ILB in FA. I also believe we keep Crosby and maybe a handful of others. I think Raji will find few suitors in FA because of the depth in the draft so ends up in GB for reasonable money on a short deal.

Rd1 Noah Spence OLB E.Kent
I know there is no way he should fall to us. I'm just kind of hoping his past issues drop him this far. Character concerns are always raised before the draft and then some team takes the plunge anyway. I'm banking on this being the year one of these guys makes it to us. I’m probably wrong, but a guy can dream. Extremely disruptive player who would look great opposite CM3. Even with Peppers back he could be part of a rotation early and gradually take more snaps as the year rolls on. Also allows some flexibility to play CM3 some inside and outside to rush from different places. (If Spence is gone I’d probably go DT here – Reed, Rankins, Clark or Butler might be candidates.)

Rd2 Su'a Cravens ILB USC
Undersized LB/S (225#) with speed and coverage ability, which is what this defense lacks. May not be able to use him full time on the inside right away, but he can take over Joe Thomas' role as the coverage LB right away until he grows into his role. I assume he can add 10-15lbs over a couple of years in a full-time NFL weight/nutrition program. Will be the answer to those TEs that keep giving us grief. (I’m planning on an ILB in FA to start next to Ryan.) (If Cravens is gone, I’ll hope Brothers is there.)

Rd3 Le'Raven Clark OT TxTech
Couldn't ignore the offense completely, since we lack OL depth. Has prototypical size and length (6'6" with 36+" arms). Needs work but has the potential to play on either side at OT. Was a mixed bag at the Senior Bowl – “solid on one play, clueless on the next”. Needs coaching and reps and can hopefully improve enough to take over should BahkT leave in 2017 or Bulaga keep breaking down.

Rd4 Javon Hargrave DT S.Car.St.
Mike Daniels part 2. A bookend on the other side of Daniels. Has some explosion and holds up well against the run. Had a good week at the Shrine Game.

Rd4 (comp) Tyvis Powell SS tOSU
Yes, a DB. This one is a possible replacement for Banjo/Hyde, maybe more in time. Good size @ 6’2” with long arms and good speed. Another guy to take away TEs and RBs.

Rd5 Demarcus Robinson WR Fla
Maybe a little early, but maybe not. Talent says he should go earlier. Off-the-field stuff says he goes later. I’m thinking this is a compromise spot. I could be wrong.

Rd5 Brandon Shell OT S.Car.
Played some LT and RT at South Carolina but projects as more of a RT/OG for the NFL. Has good size at 334# and had a good week at the Shrine Game.

Rd6 DJ White CB Ga.Tech
I know, we don't need a CB, but I like depth at the position and want to replace Hayward with something other than an UDFA. (If Raji doesn't re-sign I'd look for a DT here - maybe DJ Reader-Clemson if he's still on the board, otherwise maybe Antwan Woods-USC)

Rd7 Ian Seau OLB Nev
Yup, you recognize the name – Junior’s nephew. Was a productive player at Nevada. A DE in college but not big enough for the position in the NFL so projects more as a 3-4 OLB. Has the size to play the position at 256# and has some solid pass rush ability. Not likely to be useful in coverage, but can be used some as a situational pass rusher and special teamer.

Was a fun mock to put together. I regret not getting a TE or RB, but I wanted defense. Probably should have taken another DT, but I think one quality guy like Hargrave is enough. Guion, Raji and Pennell are enough for the NT spot. (If Raji is not back, I use one of my alternate selections.)

Spence is one of those wild cards. I've seen him mocked as high as #5 overall recently. But I could also see him plummeting like Randy Gregory last year. Talent-wise, he'd be a great get as late as #27. Cravens fits that LB/S hybrid that's in vogue and I like Hargrave as great 4th round value.

Back