3-star Michigan athlete commits to Badgers 2018 class

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The state of Michigan has been kind to the Wisconsin Badgers on the 2018 recruiting trail, and that continued on Monday night. With two players in the fold from the state already, three-star athlete Jaylan Franklin became No. 3 from Michigan. The Rockwood, Mich. (Oscar A. Carlson) native gave his commitment to the Badgers shortly after coming home from a weekend visit to Madison. It was felt that...

Source

Continue reading...

Unless he grows some more, I think he's gonna end up switching positions.

6'4" 200lbs is a bit small for a Badger TE

Agree, I think they are just finding a slot for him at the moment. Nice athlete who will almost certainly add some weight over the next few years. He'll likely not be true in-line TE for Bucky, but Chryst and UW have had those somewhat undersized H-Back types in the past - like Beckam and Kendricks. This kid could end up in that mold as sort of a situational guy.

Seems like the coaches almost always project guys to "bigger" positions than I would. I remember Baun coming out of high school a few years ago, and when they said he'd be a LB I thought they were crazy, now he's a LB. Alec James came to UW looking like the perfect size for LB and within 2 years he was a DE/DT. If things go to form, this kid is probably 6'5" and 230# after his red-shirt season, come fall of 2019.

Interesting point on size, and the red shirt year. It seems to be a given for a lot of players going to UW.

If they get a "younger guy" by comparison to the 19 year average entry, they like to stockpile them as red shirts to gain size and strength, as well as to learn the system, and still retain 4 years eligibility.

I like it, because so many kids come into the program out of shape, or at least not filled out, and ready to play. It saves them from injuries, as well as gets them time to become accustomed to college, and conditioning.

Back