Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 12:45 PM CT

General:

• This was a quick indoor practice, only about an hour long, so not a ton of updates.
  • Practice in the Hutson Center
  • No Pads
Not Practicing: Aaron Jones (Hamstring), Kenny Clark (Groin), Rashan Gary (Groin), EQSB (Hamstring), Juwann Winfree (Shoulder), Chris Blair (Ankle)

Injuries: OT David Bakhtiari (PUP ACL), DT Kingsley Keke (NFI Ankle), CB Kevin King (NFI Hamstring), OLB Za'Darius Smith (NFI Back), CB Will Redmond (NFI Foot), LB Isaiah McDuffie (NFI Hamstring), OLB Randy Ramsey (Ankle), LB Kamal Martin (Knee)

Offense:

• Dominique Dafney is off PUP and is practicing.
  • Runyan getting first reps at LG during initial team work.
  • Players aren’t in pads but Deguara taking some team reps, with the 1s too.
  • Squad splits and Rodgers hits Cobb and Lazard down the seam on first two reps in team.
  • Sweet snag from MVS over the middle on a high throw from Rodgers. Skied over a couple defenders to pull it in. MVS hands are noticeably better so far in camp. Do with that information what you wish.
  • Josh Jackson just inadvertently knocked off Kylin Hill’s helmet trying to break up a short pass from Rodgers in the end zone. Hill held on for the TD and got a high five from Rodgers after the play.
Defense:

• Garvin just had a nice inside rush against Turner. Caused Rodgers to abandon his deep read.
Special Teams:

• Crosby almost perfect on field goals but missed one. He also hit from 51 after a bad snap but good hold by Scott.
Media:

• Dafney is back Video
  • Hackett showing off his hands Video
  • Deguara moving well Video | Video2
  • Rodgers to Cobb Video
  • AJ Dillon leading RB drills Video
  • Love and Rodgers drilling Video
  • Tae enters the punter competition Video
  • Lizard time Video
  • Ball security Video
  • Tonyan and Lewis Video
Practice has ended at: 2 PM CT

Next event is: Training Camp | August 10th

Press Conference Notes:

Matt LaFleur
Presser

• Matt LaFleur said an emphasis with QB Jordan Love is to keep the tempo up, getting the players in and out of the huddle and making corrections when the play calls might require an adjustment in formation.
  • Matt LaFleur references ball security as a point of emphasis for Jordan Love after a bit of a sloppy night on Saturday. Two botched centers exchanges and a fumble in the pocket.
  • LaFleur says while it’s great to have three competing guards in Patrick, Runyan, and Braden, the situation just has to play itself out over the next few weeks of preseason.
  • LaFleur said there will be select vets who are held out of the Houston Texans game Saturday and the plan this week is to get them the work they need while at the same time getting they younger players ready to play in a game.
Mason Crosby Presser

• K Mason Crosby said he's been building toward the season and he's fine with K J.J. Molson in camp. He said he's been hitting about the same amount of kicks as he normally would despite two kickers in camp.
  • It's quality over quantity at this stage of his career, Crosby says.
  • Crosby confirms that he remains a player rep but says he’s not involved in preaching vaccination to unvaccinated players — “I think everyone has the information they need to make an informed choice”
  • K Mason Crosby on entering his 15th season: "It was kind of a goal to get to a point like this and have longevity." He says his goal is to keep kicking at high level as long as he can. No plans to retire anytime soon.
  • Crosby on his accuracy the last two years; he didn't miss any FGs last year: "I wish I could bottle up a secret and have that harnessed."
  • Mason Crosby asked about potentially playing as long as Adam Vinatieri: "Yeah, you know, 48 would be pretty cool. That's a whole other career, to think that far out." Crosby says he wants to play this contract that expires after 2022 out and go from there.
Ben Braden Presser

• Ben Braden says past couple years as undrafted lineman "definitely tough"..."In my heart, I just felt like I wasn't done yet." He says there's "a sense of relief" that he didn't stop and kept pursuing his dream.
Chandon Sullivan Presser

• Chandon Sullivan on why the "star" slot CB position in Joe Barry's defense is a good fit for him: "It allows me to show my versatility. I can play zone, play man, blitz a little bit."
  • As Chandon Sullivan mentioned, 2020 was his first year as a full-time starter in the slot. Having that experience entering 2021 could be something that helps propel him to a new level as well.

With Jones sidelined, we should see plenty of Hill, Taylor, and Dex the rest of the preseason. An early injury to RB1 underscores why it may be smart to keep 4 RB’s.

I’m interested in watching Galeai as well. He’s a little like KGB, as a speed rusher but needs to add weight and strength. If he can, he could be a big lift at OLB.

With 3 similar H-Back types in the TE group (Deguara, Daphney, and Crawford), how will ML adjust this offense to take advantage of what they bring to the field.

Will the signing of DL Avery make any difference in DL competition? Or is he just a camp body?

With Jones sidelined, we should see plenty of Hill, Taylor, and Dex the rest of the preseason. An early injury to RB1 underscores why it may be smart to keep 4 RB’s.

I’m interested in watching Galeai as well. He’s a little like KGB, as a speed rusher but needs to add weight and strength. If he can, he could be a big lift at OLB.

With 3 similar H-Back types in the TE group (Deguara, Daphney, and Crawford), how will ML adjust this offense to take advantage of what they bring to the field.

Will the signing of DL Avery make any difference in DL competition? Or is he just a camp body?
Avery has a chance right now I think Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Slaton, Keke are the only guys I think think will be on roster for sure out of camp. Keke though if he does not get healthy who knows if he ends up on IR depending how bad his ankle is. Figure what 6-8 DL make the team so 1-4 spots could be open

Back