2021 Training Camp: August 16th Summary.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 1 PM CT

General:

• No Pads
  • OL Jon Dietzen released. P Ryan Winslow released. Three more will be released today.
Limited: DL Kenny Clark, DB Will Redmond

Not Practicing: OLB Rashan Gary (Groin), WR Juwann Winfree (Shoulder), DL Dean Lowry (Knee), TE Isaac Nauta (Chest), WR Chris Blair (Ankle), WR DeAndre Thompkins (Shoulder), Jordan Love (Shoulder)

Injuries: OT David Bakhtiari (PUP ACL), IR OLB Randy Ramsey (Ankle)

Offense:

• Aaron Jones (hamstring) is back after missing last week.
  • EQ (hamstring) is back too.
  • 1st reps a guard: Braden and Newman. Runyan and Patrick rotating in.
  • Aaron Rodgers gets Eric Stokes a couple reps later. Stokes lined up on Allen Lazard, who cuts across the middle. Stokes tries to jump the route, but Rodgers throws behind Lazard, away from coverage. Mark that one down for the wily vet.
  • Aaron Rodgers breaks every QB rule known to man, throws back across middle of field while rolling right, because Reggie Begelton was wide open in the end zone. Also a no-look pass because he can. Rodgers connects with Begelton for the score in red-zone drill. Not many QBs get away with that.
Defense:

• Dean Lowry with the rehab group today.
  • Za’Darius Smith (back) is finally off the non-football injury list.
  • Kenny Clark among those who have returned to practice, but still not participating in team drills.
  • Will Redmond (foot) also off NFI.
  • Kingsley Keke back in team drills.
  • Z. Smith, King and Keke with the starters. Stokes rotating reps with King.
  • In second team period, Eric Stokes gets first rep across from Jaire Alexander. He’s lined up over Davante Adams, and Aaron Rodgers targets him. Same thing that’s happened all camp, except this time Stokes jumps an out route and breaks up the pass.
  • After top 4 CBs, Kabion Ento was first off the sideline. Then Josh Jackson came on. That’s your second team CB. Ento seems to be getting higher tier reps. (makes sense).
  • Jack Heflin, is getting some first-team reps with Dean Lowry out today. No surprise, he had a good preseason opener.
  • Josh Jackson taking 3rd team reps blankets Jace Sternberger in the end zone and picks off an ill-advised Kurt Benkert pass in red-zone drill.
  • Rodgers floats in a beauty from 21 to Lazard over Alexander in end zone. But it appears he was out of bounds.
Media:

Practice has ended at: 2:20 PM CT

Next event is: Training Camp | August 17th

Press Conference Notes:

Matt LaFleur
Presser

• Packers will have only Rodgers and Benkert at QB today. Will work out some QBs on Tuesday, LaFleur says. Love "potentially" could play Saturday vs. the Jets. "He is playing significantly better than he did on gameday."
  • Matt LaFleur says it's a big day, maybe week, for Kurt Benkert getting more reps with Jordan Love out: "It's extremely valuable. He hasn't gotten the reps that I know he would like, but it's hard to rep more than two guys."
  • 90-minute practice today. Guys that didn't play on Saturday "will get the majority" of the snaps.

Winfree was darling of camp until he got hurt. He better watch his 6 because Funchess is coming hard.
Hard to imagine them keeping more than 6 WR’s (before the Cobb trade I said only 5), so Funchess, Winfree, et al are all playing for 1 roster spot, most likely

Two weeks ago I would agree. But he’s making it a difficult decision.

Yes, I'm a homer. I'm always wishing WI guys the best. Any chance Dietzen comes back on the Practice Squad?

Yes, I'm a homer. I'm always wishing WI guys the best. Any chance Dietzen comes back on the Practice Squad?
Need to see how roster shakes out first (how many OL on 53) and what positions may be best fit on PS.
Always a chance but too early to say.
Good chance Van Lanen makes the 53 man roster. He played pretty well on Saturday

I think it's slim cut this early shows Packers had no real interest in him. I don't think he was NFL quality anyways.

Need to see how roster shakes out first (how many OL on 53) and what positions may be best fit on PS.
Always a chance but too early to say.
Good chance Van Lanen makes the 53 man roster. He played pretty well on Saturday
I think it will be close depending on how many OL they keep. Right now I think these 8 will make make then depends on how many more GB keeps. Bak will likely end up on PUP unless they feel he can be back sooner in which you take him off PUP have him make the final 53 then right after that pup him on IR for first 3 games then recall him.

Turner, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Myers, Braden, Newman, Kelly

Back