2016 NFL Mock Draft- The Way Too Early Edition

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Who doesn’t love a mock draft? Whether you’re just skimming to find out who the writer thinks your team is going to take or if you want to learn more about some prospects, everyone enjoys them.

I thought I would put out an early edition, mostly to embarrass myself but also to give the readers an idea of where some prospects sit in mid-November. I won’t go too in depth on the picks as the draft order will change, underclassmen may decide to go back to school, and of course free agency in the spring changes team needs.

1. Detroit Lions- Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss. Lions grab arguably the best player in the draft at a huge position of need.
  2. San Diego Chargers- Joey Bosa, Edge, Ohio St. Although Bosa is not an ideal fit in a 3-4 defense, the Chargers will find a way to let him rush the passer.
  3. Cleveland Browns- Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss. Despite the Browns needing a QB and having their choice of one, they opt to go with a difference maker on the defensive line.
  4. Tennessee Titans- Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida St. The Titans are desperate for a playmaker on defense, Ramsey can help at either cornerback or safety.
  5. Baltimore Ravens- Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida. The Ravens could stand to upgrade their secondary. Hargreaves, you could argue, is also best player available.
  6. Jacksonville Jaguars- Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson. This may be a bit high for Kearse, but he’s an athletic marvel, Jags need a ball hawk in the secondary.
  7. Dallas Cowboys- Andrew Billings, DL, Baylor. Typically 2-down run stuffing defensive tackles don’t go this high, but after the combine I could see teams salivating over Billings. Cowboys need help on the interior D-line.
  8. San Francisco 49ers- Myles Jack, LB, UCLA. The 49ers could go in a lot of directions but get a huge upgrade at ILB with Jack who excels in coverage.
  9. Houston Texans- Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis. Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer have been the starters for Houston, not much more to say, Lynch has all the physical tools.
  10. Miami Dolphins- Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame. Smith is an exceptional athlete and would come in and start right away for a weak Miami linebacking corp.
  11. Chicago Bears- Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame. The Bears do need to improve their defense but they can’t pass on Stanley who would provide stability at the Right Tackle position and kick Kyle Long back inside.
  12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Shaq Lawson, Edge, Clemson. I can’t remember a consistent outside pass rush threat for the Bucs since Simeon Rice. Lawson has been a force for Clemson this season.
  13. Washington Redskins- Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss. The Redskin badly need playmakers, Desean Jackson can’t stay healthy and Pierre Garcon is average, they get a gift with Treadwell falling to 13.
  14. Kansas City Chiefs- Jared Goff, QB, California. It’s become trendy to mock a QB to KC, but they need a future upgrade over Smith, this would be a perfect place for Goff to learn under Andy Reid.
  15. New Orleans Saints- Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. Brandon Browner has been awful for the Saints; despite taking a cap hit, they may cut him. Fuller has good size and comes from a long line of family who have played CB in the NFL.
  16. Oakland Raiders- Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU. Oakland has several good building blocks on their roster but DJ Hayden is looking like a bust, they need a shutdown corner.
  17. St. Louis Rams- Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan St. Greg Robinson has had his bumps at Tackle, he could be kicked inside to Guard and improve the interior of the O-line. Conklin is a great run blocker and very good pass protector.
  18. Philadelphia Eagles- Denver Kirkland, OL, Arkansas. The interior of the Eagles offensive line needs to improve, so much of Chip Kelly’s offense is predicated on how effective the team is at rushing the ball.
  19. Buffalo Bills- Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama. The Bills could add a piece to their front seven on defense, Ragland has been the leader of the Alabama defense this year.
  20. Seattle Seahawks- Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio St. The Seahawks need help on their O-line in the worst way. Decker could come in and start at Right Tackle immediately.
  21. Pittsburgh Steelers- DeForest Buckner, DL, Oregon. The Steelers need depth on the defensive line to spell Heyward and Tuitt. Buckner is a disruptive End who has experience in a 3-4 defense.
  22. New York Jets- Connor Cook, QB, Michigan St. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a free agent, and Geno Smith is lousy; the Jets need a quarterback to build their team around. Cook is a multiple year starter who plays in a pro style offense.
  23. Atlanta Falcons- Josh Doctson, WR, TCU. Roddy White is past his prime and the Falcons could use another weapon to take attention away from Julio Jones. Doctson is a great deep threat for TCU and is excellent at high-pointing the ball.
  24. Minnesota Vikings- Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor. Mike Wallace and Cordarrelle Patterson should be cut this offseason. The Vikings draft a deep threat to keep defenses honest, Coleman has been breaking records this year at Baylor.
  25. Indianapolis Colts- Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St. Frank Gore is getting up there in age, the Colts sure would love to have a long term reliable running back to take pressure off of Andrew Luck. Elliott has dominated college football the last two years.
  26. New York Giants-Jeremy Cash, S, Duke. The Giants need to address the back end of their defense, teams have exposed their safeties. Cash is very physical and is a playmaker for the Blue Devils.
  27. Arizona Cardinals- A’Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama. The Cardinals are pretty stout on defense but they could use a run-plugger. Robinson has yet to reach his full potential, which is scary.
  28. Green Bay Packers- Su’a Cravens, LB/S, USC. This was a tough choice. Jarran Reed who is still available is a versatile piece for the D-line but Cravens can help the Packers defense in a lot of ways. I think he could start at ILB in the base defense (would like to see him bulk up about 10lbs) but wouldn’t have to leave the field on 3rd down either. He’d be another chess piece for Capers to utilize and help the defense become more athletic.
  29. Denver Broncos- Kenny Clark, DL, UCLA. Both the Broncos defensive tackles are free agents, chances are they will only be able to afford one. Clark has been a terrific run stopper for the Bruins this season.
  30. Cincinnati Bengals- Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama. The Bengals have a very good roster but could add a big body up front. Reed has been a standout on the Crimson Tide defense all year long stuffing the run.
  31. Carolina Panthers- Emmanuel Ogbah, DL, Oklahoma St. Yes I know Cam Newton needs weapons, for me there isn’t a player that presents really good value here. Instead the Panthers take a pass rusher who has wreaked havoc for Big 12 opponents the last two years.
  32. New England Patriots- Forfeited

Continue reading...

Hard for me to comment because I've not studied the players all that much yet. The top 10 seem about right.

The Packers pick would be intriguing, but I suspect we won't be at 28. I'm thinking picks 16-22 are in play for this team. Conklin and Decker might be good options at OT. Buckner sure would be a nice add for the DL. Doctson or Coleman might be good options as well given the general crap play we have gotten from the WR position this year.

I'm not a draftnik by any means but I would like to see some talent at the WR, ILB, TE and OL brought in

Back