2015 OTA Thread

As a side note I would like Demetri Goodson to stop talking like he's a leader of this team. During this offseason he was already bragging about intercepting Rodgers several times while on the scout team and now he criticizes the defensive coaching staff for their complex playbook. Yet it took Randall and Rollins all of two weeks of OTAs to move past him on the depth chart and McCarthy wasn't even talking about expecting anything out of him as a corner anymore.

o_O rofl(

Just hope this year that best players get kept and none of the BS that because he's a draft pick he gets kept. Cough Goodson Cough

The Packers defense had a similar motto during last year's off season when coaches were talking about using more different personnel groups but less scheme during the 2014 season. I would be in favor of simplifying the defensive scheme but let's wait and see how that works out.

I thought it was interesting to read that McCarthy is heavily involved with the defense and provides an offensive perspective to the positional meetings as well as offensive coaches teaching defensive players about tendencies of offensive players.

As a side note I would like Demetri Goodson to stop talking like he's a leader of this team. During this offseason he was already bragging about intercepting Rodgers several times while on the scout team and now he criticizes the defensive coaching staff for their complex playbook. Yet it took Randall and Rollins all of two weeks of OTAs to move past him on the depth chart and McCarthy wasn't even talking about expecting anything out of him as a corner anymore.

The Packers have persisted in running a complex defense while bringing in rookies with little experience at the position they're expected to play.

The defense has been substandard, with an annual whack-a-mole exercise at one position or another...OLB then S then D-Line and now ILB and cover corner. You might note a similarity in where the OLB position might be in 2016 to where the cover corner position stands now...a position of relative strength becoming a major question mark.

Perhaps the "more taste, less filling" approach to the defensive scheme will take hold this year in order to accommodate the "forever young" approach. We can only hope. It's long overdue. sh))

Seen and heard at the Green Bay Packers' minicamp practice Thursday:

Tons of interceptions: Without Rodgers running the offense, perhaps it was no surprise that the secondary feasted on backup quarterbacks Scott Tolzien, Matt Blanchard and rookie Brett Hundley. During a red-zone period, safety Jean Fanor picked off Blanchard, defensive back Micah Hyde picked off Hundley and safety Chris Banjo got Tolzien. It all happened within a five-play stretch. It didn't get any better in the two-minute drill. The first one ended on the second play, when center JC Tretter snapped the ball over Blanchard's head and linebacker Andy Mulumba recovered it. In the second, cornerback Demetri Goodson picked off Hundley. In the third, rookie cornerback LaDarius Gunter picked off Blanchard in the end zone.

Near pick: First-round pick Damarious Randall nearly picked off Tolzien during the third-down team period. He stepped in front of rookie tight end Kennard Backman to break up the play. While the ball was in the air, cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt said: "That's a pick." Afterward, Whitt was seen praising Randall for being in the right spot.

Hundley stunk up the place this week and Tolzien struggled at times. Both better pick it up during real camp or TT going to be shopping the waiver wire ! bh(

No one is going to convice me that Tolzien is not the worst backup QB in the NFL. He is a career 3rd string QB.

Hundley stunk up the place this week and Tolzien struggled at times. Both better pick it up during real camp or TT going to be shopping the waiver wire ! bh(

I heard Blanchard actually looked pretty good so far in the OTAs and mini camp...

Blanchard was the only one behind Rodgers who was consistent. Hundley was putrid

that is going to make a very interesting camp battle. It sounds like Blanchard should easily beat Hundley. I don't think MM would ever admit Blanchard would beat out Tolzein. But if Blanchard outplays both of them in camp and a pre-season game it will be fun to watch.

Back