2015 NFL Draft Thread

Seems like it will never get here.

A little over 2 wks to go. Trying not to watch the dates. It only makes it seem longer.

Bought of copy of Draft Day with Kevin Cosner. It won't win any words but it's a enjoyable movie and I enjoyed how Kevin's character worked the other teams with draft picks. Something to pass the time while I wait.

So less than two weeks to go, here are some thoughts:

Lots of talk about the need at ILB and rightly so. Lots of mocks have us going in that direction at some point in the first two rounds. CB is also a need. Still, I wonder if there hasn't been enough thought given to another position: OLB. Yes, we have CMIII. Yes, Peppers is still here and he was huge last year with a number of big plays. But that's just it - I think it's no coincidence that the first time we had meaningful production opposite Matthews at OLB was the first year we went back to the NFCC and came damn close to making another SB. ILB is bereft of talent right now, but in terms of (front 7) importance to the defense overall I think it goes OLB, DL, ILB. Peppers had a great year, all things considered, but you can't count on him duplicating that production next year and he's unlikely to be on the roster in 2016. Behind him are Mike Neal and Nick Perry, both also unlikely to be on the roster in 2016 and both are only part time players for 2015.

It will obviously depend on how the board falls, but I hope we don't ignore OLB early on if the opportunity presents itself.

You make a good point about OLB. Even with the poor or less than average play of the ILB's the defense played better. However, things did not dramatically improve until Clay moved inside. The unpredictability of where he would be lining up helped a lot. I do think we need an ILB pretty early followed closely by CB but hopefully we won't wait until the later rounds to draft OLB.

I also hope that they continue to move Clay around this season even if we do draft an ILB early. I don't think he did as well staying on the outside all the time. IMO

I would love to be a fly on the wall and get a peek at TT's draft board! ch(

Ted probably does not let anyone see the finished board till they walk in the draft room on Thursday afternoon

Back