2010 season

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i've seen a couple people comment about the 2010 packers season and some things seem to have been forgotten over the years. it's only natural to remember things in a different light since we won the super bowl. but there's a few folks (here and elsewhere) who seem to remember the packers being a red-hot team entering the playoffs. i thought it might be interesting to take a look back.

entering week 12, the packers were 7-3. the falcons beat them 20-17.

in week 13, the packers beat the 49ers 34-16, taking them to 8-4.

in week 14, the packers got beat by the detroit lions, 7-3.

in week 15, the packers lost their second game in a row, falling to the patriots 37-21. their record was now 8-6.

in week 16, the packers destroyed the giants 45-17, taking them to 9-6.

and then in week 17, the packers just barely managed to squeak by the bears by a score of 10-3. this allowed them to edge their way into the playoffs as a wild card.

let's take a look at how this season has been going.

after starting the season 4-2, the packers entered week 12 with a 5-6 record after four straight losses. the losses to tennessee and washington were particularly humiliating. personally, i felt the season was already over. but the packers pulled off a 27-13 win against the eagles, and a faint glimmer of hope was visible.

in week 13, there was cautious optimism that we could beat the texans, and indeed the packers prevailed 21-13.

in week 14, the packers utterly dismantled the seahawks, 38-10 and it looked like they were on a roll with three straight victories. their record was now above .500 at 7-6.

this week, we all thought the packers would completely dominate the bears - and in reality they did . . . for 45 minutes. then we saw the familiar lackadaisical attitude on both offense and defense and the 17 point lead vanished in a flash. in the final minute, rodgers threw one of the prettiest long balls i've seen in well over a year. 60 yards in the air, dropping into the arms of jordy nelson close enough for a chip shot field goal to take the lead and win the game. exciting finish to a game that should have been a blow-out.

this is a totally different team than the 2010 packers, make no mistake. they have some ugly deficiencies that will not be cured in time for the playoffs. but if they go on to win the next two games they will be a red-hot team with six straight victories, and who knows?

do i believe they will win it all? not at all. but i think there is a chance.

Hard to argue with anything there. In my other forums, I'm the one who has to remind folks about the differences. I do, however, think the memories of a 'red-hot' team are somewhat reasonable in that the playoffs (i.e., one-and-done) started with the last two games, in which they did what they needed to do. Since it appears that winning out is the only reasonable way to make it to the playoffs this year, they would be on a six-game winning streak and thus, as you say, who knows? If AR keeps up his return to superhuman status, Monty continues to give them the running game they've lacked, and...(fill in the blanks)

My biggest caveat is the injury situation. Although the IR list in 2010 was really long, it was a case of those guys being (1) who's that?, (2) replaced by someone actually better (Bishop), (3) (several) replaced by guys having (their one-and-only) career years at the same time, or (4) even really, really good players (Finley) causing the team to adjust and get better by using other weapons. Not sure, but I also think the majority of the 53 were pretty healthy. This year, they're playing some walking wounded, and some of the returning guys are up-and-down.

I think part of the 2010 mind set was the end of the season schedule was tougher..

In 2010 the last six teams the Packers faced Falcons, Niners, Lions, Patriots, Giants, and CHI.. 4 of those teams had winning records, ATL ended up #1 seed, CHI #2, NE was #1 seed, and Giants where 10-6 though they didn't get in.

Scrapping by to make the playoffs in 2010 was just a much tougher road than this year, where 4 of the last 6 opponents will be .500 or below...

I'm not trying to minimize getting into the playoffs this year.. Just saying I think that's where the mindset of "hot in 2010" might come from. Especially since the Pack beat the team that would be the #2 seed in the NFC that last game.

REALITI made a good point. You can be down, but if not counted out, you can get up and still win. That 2010 season was a prime example. There are similarities here in 2016, and you just can't count them out until it's over.

This is the biggest difference between the two scenarios:

When the Packers made their unexpected rise to a Super Bowl title as the sixth seed in 2010, their pass defense was tied for fourth in the NFL, allowing 194 yards per game. This season, the Packers' secondary is tied for 24th in the league, allowing 259 yards per game. It’s their lowest ranking since 2011, when the Packers' last-ranked pass defense became a major stumbling block in the playoffs. - JSonline

No game our defense plays is ever 'done'. Fourth quarter heart attack!

Back